HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

cervix removal impact sexual pleasure? cervix removal impact sexual pleasure?

Unread 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM
cervix removal impact sexual pleasure?

My TAH has not yet been scheduled yet but I have heard it mentioned that removal of the cervix can impact orgasm. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm worried about what the hysterectomy will do to my sex life.
Unread 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Re: cervix removal impact sexual pleasure?

Gosh I hope not. I can't have sex for two more weeks and I have to say I am a bit nervous not only about the orgasm but about the pain. The first few times after I had my kids were awful. I can let you know in two weeks. (maybe three...lol)
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:40 AM

I too worry about this and will be watching this thread. I'm not only having the hysterectomy (ovaries stay), but an A&P repair. I worry more about what THAT is going to do to the "area" down there when it comes to sex.
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM

I too am so worried about what intercourse will be like after I'm healed. Tomorrow will be the start of my 4th week post op. Uterus and cervix were removed during LAVH, but ovaries stayed. My husband and I have been married over 10 years and together almost 12, and have always enjoyed an incredible sex life. The possibility of that being negatively impacted is scary. I'm trying to prepare myself for this plus the possibility of my ovaries not functioning. I'm only 32 and my doc thinks I won't have any problems with my ovaries. After seeing them in surgery, he said they look healthy. Although, they said my cervix looked healthy during my last pap which came back abnormal with cancer. So I really have a prob. trusting that comment. Anyway, from other women on this website and women I've encountered who've had hysterectomies prior to menopause, its seem like it will be different, but to give it time and it will get better. So, I'm not setting any expectations for the first few times. I know it might take a while and may never be the same, but at least I'm alive. It sounds like after a few rocky times at having sex a lot of women start enjoying it again. For me, I'm pretty sure it won't be as intense but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be enjoyable. Good Luck!
kcscott522
LAVH
cervical cancer stage 1a1
kept ovaries
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:22 AM

I worry about the same thing. I posed this question to my doctor and she assured me removal of the cervix will not prevent orgasm. I'm having total Hysterectomy on the 17th of June. Uterus, ovary and tube and cervix coming out. Right ovary was removed in December for another reason. I have adnemyosis and a small tumor on the left ovary as well as a cyst on the cervix. Doctor said if I have orgasms now, which are incredible by the way, there is no reason I won't afterwards, I'm trusting her and hoping for the best. Good luck to all of you as well.
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM

Everybody's different but I haven't had any problems at all, even the first time. If anything, for me, sex is as good as or better than before.
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:28 AM

ohmightyv,
Thanks for that positive feedback. It really gives me hope that sex will be okay and hopefully the same as before hysterectomy.
kcscott522
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:32 AM

Well, you never know how it'll be; but that was something I was very concerned about, too. Keep a positive attitude and be patient. Good luck with your surgeries!
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Sex for me, too is better than before. I was too worried the first few times to enjoy it, but as I relaxed, it just kept getting better and better. And I have only had the green light for a few weeks!! Best of luck to you. I hope you will be as blessed as I am in that manner.
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM

There are multiple things that an impact sex and orgasm. If you experienced uterine contractions things will feel different, also because of removal of uterus blood flow is different in the area. All that being said, I had a tough time initially for many reasons, I'm not about 6.5 months out and things are getting better, and experiencing "o" without the cervix (I got a lot of mine from my clitoris even before surgery). If you want more details on my journey you can search for my thread about journey back to "o"

Best recommendations are a) wait so you get healed, b) when released take it slow don't go back to normal routine, one woman here said she only had DH do partial penetration thane each time they went a little further, c) if there are issues make sure you find the right people and things to help you (physical therapists, hormones, whatever).

Good luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.