HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Going for exploratory surgery, June 16, recovery time???? Going for exploratory surgery, June 16, recovery time????

Unread 06-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Going for exploratory surgery, June 16, recovery time????

So, here's some background. Had hyster on June 27, 2007 for reoccuring dysplasia. Excellent recovery, no problems. Have been back for paps every 6 months since then for abnormal paps. Had two "good" ones in the last year. Went to see NP in April, pap was good. Told her I was having some spotting and pain during and after intercourse. She is doing pap and sees a bulging "vein?" on my cuff. Sends me to OB/GYN. He orders ultrasound on May 14. Went to see him on June 1. He went over my history (I've seen him before) "checks" me out and notices the "vein?" on cuff and says he doesn't even want to touch it. So he has sheduled me for laparoscopic exploratory because he thinks the pain is from my left ovary, he thinks it's stuck on my cuff and wants to try and release it, sometimes it works and sometimes you lose the ovary, he said he would do his best as I'm too young to only have one ovary (his words) and isn't sure where the blood supply is coming from on the vein on my cuff. When he was looking at the vein he said it was a blue/black color and didn't want to touch it in case it let go and I started to hemmorage. When he's in looking at my ovary he's going to see where the blood supply is coming from for the vein and see if he can take the vein off my cuff. Has anyone had this? and what is a ballpark recovery time for something like this? My DD's class trip is on June 19 and just wondering if you think I will be able to drive and go with her? I know it depends on what he finds and does when he's in there. Just would like a best and worst case recovery time. Thanks for all you support and help.
Unread 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Re: Going for exploratory surgery, June 16, recovery time????

To be sure you can go on the class trip with your DD, I wouldn't plan on a lap that close to the trip!

I have had two laps, one prior to my hysterectomy and one after. They were not done by the same surgeon and I did not have the same recovery. The first one was better than the second, requiring no meds really past the first day (maybe two). However, I still would not have felt like attending a class trip with kids three days later! I was in a lot more pain for my second surgery and most definitely would NOT have been able to attend a class trip or drive because of medications! In fact, I was waddling four days later when I had my post op appointment and met a friend at a restaurant for lunch!

Did you ask your doctor about the class trip? You may want to consider rescheduling surgery and/or make different plans for your DD.

Best wishes!
Unread 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM

I figured I wouldn't be able to drive, I have already told the teacher, I was hoping that I would be able to go, BUT, it will entail alot a walking. I was wondering what you all thought. I didn't realize the recovery was that rough. When I had my hyster(vaginally) I had no pain past the first day, so I guess I should prepare myself for a little rougher recovery this time? Is it really that bad? This will be my first lap. What do they do, how painful is it (I know everyones' pain threshold is different) how many stitches are there, when can you drive, resume regular acitivites? I also know it all depends on what he finds when he gets in there and what he does. Thanks for your support and wizdom.
Unread 06-06-2009, 04:56 PM

I am sorry, I don't think I made myself very clear! Pain was not the issue for my first lap, or my lap assisted hysterectomy for that matter. It wasn't pain that would have kept me from doing a lot of walking after either of those two surgeries. I would not have had the energy or strength to do so. My body needed a bit of time to rest. Surgery of any kind causes trauma to the body and you want to let you body heal. Spending the third day on your feet just doesn't sound wisdom or something any of my surgeons would have allowed.

If you only have an exploratory lap and nothing else is done, you may only have a few incisions. However, it will depend on if you have an ovary removed, if you need cuff revision (because of whatever is causing issues there), etc.

Here is a link about a laparoscopy that might be helpful: http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/007017.htm.

You can also do a search for more info in our Resource Database.

Likely, you are going to be up and about a bit even the day after surgery. However, a class trip on day three probably is going to be too much. And if your surgery is something more than just an exploratory lap, meaning your doctor does have to remove an ovary, adhesions, fix that vein, do some cuff revision, etc., you may need to take it easy a little while longer.

I would suggest calling your doctor and asking about basic recovery information. Likely his office has some handouts and even a video you could watch.

Unread 06-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll start doing some research, and probably won't find out anything definit until I wake up from surgery and he tells me what he found and what he did. Class trip is out for this year. I will stay home and be a good princess and recover the way I am told to. Thanks for your replies, wizdom and info.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.