HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estrace bad or good? - but should I + estrogen for my hair loss? Estrace bad or good? - but should I + estrogen for my hair loss?

Unread 06-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Estrace bad or good? - but should I + estrogen for my hair loss?

confused _ i took estrace for years & finally weaned myself off it against my family doctors suggestions, due to stimulated, stingey, achey breasts - was afraid of getting cancer

then years later we now read that hormone replacement like estrace was bad/is bad...that the only way to go is bioidentical

I just got a book from the library called the hormonally vulnerable woman - affter reading it, I am one of those unucky ones who has had hormone issues more than some other women who are my friends & in my family

anyway, this book is about 3 years old but the doc that sounded so wise about everything else in this book SAID that ESTRACE is the pick of the estrogens for us to take????? He said it was more natural than some others

I am confused as I was told it was manmade, and full estradiol which is the most scary of the 3 estrogens.... I was told that estriol is safer -

what can people tell me out there as I have been off them for years & out of the loop now....plus this book said bioidentical hormones some say are better & he says (this MD) that many times they are still chemicals, sold as bioidentical, just formulated & put together by a compounding pharmacist

so I am getting really confused - plus though I was on them from 41 to 48 post total hysterectomy, I am now 56, my hair has thinned all over & continues to & some friends say GO BACK ON ESTROGEN to help your hair???

what would yall suggest

thanks
Unread 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Re: Estrace bad or good? - but should I + estrogen for my hair loss?

I was on Estrace and had to quit it when I suffered an allergic reaction to it. I had severe dizziness and feeling faint and that is a reaction to the estrodial.
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Estrace is a bioidentical estradiol that is chemically identical to the estradiol that our bodies make. It is derived in a lab from plant sources, so in that way I guess one could say that it isn't "natural". But once the estradiol molecules get into the body they will be used and metabolized the same way that our own estrogens are. The trick is to find a dose and method of getting it there that enable your body to do just that without either getting too much or having a reaction to the other things it is mixed with (adhesives, fillers, coloring, etc.). We are all very different in how much we need and which route (oral, patches, gels, pellets, etc.) works best.

If you think about it, hrt is a supplement of things that we once made ourselves. And since we still make a little of our own estradiol, estrone, and estriol even without ovaries, it's just a matter of making up that difference between what we make and what we need to function. We can compare our situation to that of type 1 diabetics who are deficient in insulin. Like them, we have to replace what we need with just enough - too much and we have symptoms, too little and we have other symptoms. Unfortunately it isn't as easy to test for hormone levels as it is for blood glucose, plus we really don't know what the numbers should be. So we have to go through a lot of trial and error in figuring it out. Some women don't need to supplement at all, others need quite a bit. We're all different.

I don't know why estradiol is considered dangerous. It is the more active form of estrogen that does most of the work estrogen does, but like any supplement, it's only harmful in excessive amounts. Think about how much we had in our bodies during our cycles or when we were pregnant. And it doesn't cause cancer. There are cancer cells that use estrogen to grow, but the estrogen didn't start the cancer growing, it just enables it to grow faster. If estrogen caused breast cancer, you would expect that women with many pregnancies would all have it, when the opposite seems to be true. As for endometrial cancer, well, estrogen does stimulate the endometrium to grow, and any time tissue is stimulated to grow, any cancerous cells there will grow right along with it. So women who still have a uterus will be given progesterone with estrogen to make that endometrial lining shed in order to avoid this problem.

I know, TMI, right? But I hope this helps you in deciding what to do.
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:50 PM

thanks for the two that replied to me! Wow, I am amazed as I really thought Estrace was so bad...was told it was & that I should go to compouned bioidenticals like biest or triest...
will have to look at it again

I am not sure any doc would put me back on it though - was on it until 48 when I weaned off and have used nothing but progesterone cream (told to - not even sure why) until about 2 years ago - I am now 56

If it would help my hair......I would do it, but I think docs like to keep us on for as short a time as needed &^ as we get older I dont think you hear of ladies on estrogens

I notice many on hyster sisters use the black cohosh & red clover, etc & NOT things like Estrace......wonder why...perhaps some will write me - I continue to be confused but like what Science geek said - gives me some things to ponder
thanks everyone you are so kind!!!
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM

I started out using Estrace, thought it did help my hot flashes, but did not balance me out that well. I ended up moving to the Vivelle dot patch which is same thing but in patch form and it kept my hormones on more of a level even keel than the pill did.

I am still on the vivelle dot patch now for 6 years and on lowest dose now and it keeps my hot flashes under control and I sleep better.

My doctor says I can be on it as long as I need it provided my health is good. I was 53 when I started on hrt.

I have been on progesterone alone and with estrogen, black cohosh, soy and just about every supplement or alternative out there and nothing has helped me with the hot flashes as estrogen has.

I think we have to look at our quality of life and decide what is best for us individually based on our family healthy history, our own health and symptoms we have.

As far as hair shedding, my doctor says a lot of time is an imbalance of one or all of the hormones, and one should have hormone tests run by a doctor who is knowledgeable with them. He mentioned seeing a dermatologist when my hair was shedding, but fortunately it stopped before I made my appointment.

I wish you the best with your inquiry of hormones and what is best for you.

Hang in there

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.