HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Gallbladder surgery vs Hysterectomy & BSO Gallbladder surgery vs Hysterectomy & BSO

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Gallbladder surgery vs Hysterectomy & BSO

Can anyone tell me how the pain and recovery was for their Lap hysterectomy compared to the pain and recovery of a lap gallbadder removal?

I recently had my gallbladder out and am wondering how they compare?
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Re: Gallbladder surgery vs Hysterectomy & BSO

They don't compare much.... I had a lap chole done almost 3 years ago and even with complications (lung abcess from possible aspiration during surgery) this is way different.

I felt less limited during my gallbladder surgery (postop) as to what I could do and was in class in a week lugging around a very full and heavy backpack. My classes were half day and I could make it thru. I had a very diseased gallbladder removed, it was causing a lot of pain and even jaundice.

I havent had to use pain meds for many days, but I have felt pain inside and KNOW I can not lift anything more than a milk jug for a while now.

Please keep in mind that everyone is different and there is a huge range for this surgery but my personal experience is that I am much more limited, and this surgery definitely took a LOT more out of me.
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I agree. I just had my gallbladder removed last month in a laproscopic surgery and it was nothing. I had a little tenderness at the incision sites, but I was back at work within a week doing everything I had done before. Doc only said, "rest a lot for the next few days," and sent me home.

My hyster wasn't a lap. procedure, but I had lifting restrictions and a lot of fatigue, and my GYN wouldn't release me for work until after the 4th week, even though I asked earlier. A hyster is a much bigger surgery evidently.
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the reply's! I had my gallbladder out recently and was back to work in 3 days. I am just trying to mentally figure out when I can get back to work after my hysterectomy.
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:53 AM

This just pulls more out of you. I get SOOO tired VERY easily and it seems I have a productive day, a day down, a productive day, a day down. And the productive days are not very productive but am going thru some motions- cleaning room, dishes, going out just little quick trips here and there.

And today is day 13. By then i think I was back in the gym with my gallbladder
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Oh my! NO comparison. I even had pancreatitis and 4 days in the hospital with my gall bladder - not even close to this. I tried comparing it to my two c-sections - NO comparison! You will know you had surgery with a hysterectomy. They just seem to move and touch everything inside you so you have more indigestion, waaaaay more internal stitches (hundreds) and many more organs removed. That being said - it is bearable. You must take it easy. I was back to work within 2 weeks of my complicated gall bladder surgery - but this is 3 weeks out for me after TAH/BSO and today I'm flat on my back because I stupidly picked up a toddler on Saturday. That will be harder for you because most of your stitches will be inside where you can't see them. So, you will get bored, feel good, but must keep yourself from doing too much. That's really the hardest part - not overdoing it! We all want to jump back into housework, work, homework, kids, etc. but you will hurt yourself if you do. After my other types of surgery, I did what felt right, and I was fine. You need to follow your doctor's instructions for real with a hysterectomy!
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM

I had a c-section 11 years ago, and it doesn't feel bad like with this surgery. I had my gallbladder taken out last March 2008 and I was going up and down stairs 2 weeks after I had my gallbladder taken out. Hysterectomy surgery is a major surgery rest when you can and don't over do it. You will feel it the next day!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.