HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Scared to death. How safe is a hysterectomy? Scared to death. How safe is a hysterectomy?

Unread 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Scared to death. How safe is a hysterectomy?

hi everyone im from clearfield pa,im haveing surgury done on june 22,scared to death . im afraid of being put to sleep and something going wrong,how safe is a hysterectomy.
Unread 06-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Scared to death. How safe is a hysterectomy?

I just passed my 5th anniversary. I didn't have any major complications from the surgery itself. I ended up being allergic to the adhesive on the tape strips they put over the incisions. I did do 2 dumb things: I drove and went back to work way too soon. Follow all the directions from your doctor and the advice on this site. When I drove I had to make a sudden stop because someone pulled out in front of me and I ended up popping a stitch and then it getting infected. I went back to work too soon and as very tired and an emotional mess. So listen to the doctor and pamper yourself and treat yourself as a
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Re: Scared to death. How safe is a hysterectomy?

Hi sassycat765, and

Many women find comfort in the fact that hysterectomy is a very common surgery for women. Although it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, it is very routine for our doctors and nurses. Everyone I dealt with at the hospital took such good care of me, and there were very reassuring and comforting.

Some women ask their doctors for medication to help them cope with pre-op anxiety, and perhaps that would be an option for you. And when you arrive at the hospital, let them know how you are feeling.

Every surgery has risks, and it's important that you talk with your doctor about them.

I'm glad you found us before your surgery, because there are wonderful women here who will share their experiences with you to help you along your way.

I'm sending you big
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Getting your anesthesia cocktail will be the least of your worries. They'lll put it in your i.v. more than likely. If you're worried abt getting the i.v. ask your nurse for a deadening shot first, I can't tell you what a difference it makes. If it's a general anesthesia you won't know anything very quickly...lala land. I just pray when I'm going out. I told my I want to pray w/him before we go to the operating rm he said oh yeah we'll have time. Sending you a calming hug!!!
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm almost seven years post-op now. I went through surgery pretty well, only a couple of minor problems that were taken care of nicely.
My dr said that, of course, there are sometimes problems but the surgical teams are very prepared to handle them. There are no guarentees but I believe most do fairly well. I'm sending lots of good wishes that you'll do well, no problems

Unread 06-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycat765 View Post
hi everyone im from clearfield pa,im haveing surgury done on june 22,scared to death . im afraid of being put to sleep and something going wrong,how safe is a hysterectomy.
Hey Sassycat!

I had a pretty straightforward hysterectomy, 2 weeks post-op now, no problems at all so far. I was lucky to have a very skilled/experienced ; I put all my faith in him and his staff, and just moved forward with plans to make myself comfortable before and after surgery. So far, so good.

I didn't even think to be worried about anesthesia...I guess because over the years, every time I have taken one of our pups to the vet for a dental procedure or surgery, they keep telling me that anesthesia is improving all the time. The pups kept recovering more quickly and I figured I would do the same. The anesthesiologist added an "anti-nausea cocktail" to my IV and not sure if I needed it, but I was just fine afterwards.

You have come to the right place for incredible support.

Take care,
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Hi Sassycat. I am 5 weeks post op and was very scared about the anesthesia too. Having never been put under, I was feeling just like you are. I don't know what kind of Hyster you're having or what options you will be given, but my anesthesiologist gave me a choice of full anesth. or a spinal and light anesth. Having had an epidural when I had my DS, I jumped at that option.

Before surgery I was given an iv with meds to calm me- very nice. I went in the OR and they did the spinal and next thing I knew, I was awake and it was done. The advantages of this method is that you wake up easier and have less possibility of nausea and other issues that arise from the full anesth. route. I was wide awake and clearheaded (except for the happy meds) before I even left the OR. The spinal took a few hours to wear off, so as I regained feeling, I could adjust my pain meds slowly as needed. Talk to your doctor and see if you have options. Hope this helped!
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM

thank u so much,for ur little story,reading the things on this site makes me feel a little better ty and god bless
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:48 PM

a hysterectomy is very safe. let the hospital know of anything that you are allergic to including shell fish like shrimp. don't worry i am very scared to my surgery is wednesday 6/17/09 at 11:30am.my husband has to work so i will be alone till he his able to get off work.when you go for preregister at the hospital let them know all your worries and concerns. before the surgery they will give you something to clam down. they are going to give me something. see people that work or have worked in medical field are big babies when it come to them having to have surgery. i know i am one of them.i hope i made you laugh. don't worry you will be fine.
Unread 06-21-2009, 02:39 AM

thank u so much tinkleberry.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.