HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!! My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!!

Unread 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Unhappy - My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!! My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!!

attention all ladies who have back problems or disc problems who are experiencing more bladder, bowel irritablilty and/or leakage. this is one diagnosis to consider: I have been to several drs. gyns and urologists and no one can see anything wrong down there upon internal exams except for a small cystocele , grade 1-2 and none can't imagine why that would cause such intense pain... and my stress incontinence is no worse than it was before all this pain.....well, read on....

Just had xrays done. My S1 is just crushed down ! My rectum, my bladder, my groin and hips are all super irritable. Nerve Pain is just awful!!! I am now thinking all that bladder stuff was more so caused by my disc than by my grade 1-2 cystocele. this is intense pain.. I have had neurogenic pain before with a bad bout of this, worser than now since my butt is not numb but this is still pretty bad. My si joints are compensating for my back surgery site, L4 L5. and I have been sitting incorrectly and having my legs spread apart really is agitating it. I must sit with legs together and straight not splayed apart as i have been doing.I have spent hours at the computer sitting like this and in a vehicle taking photographs for hours. ugghhh..... I have had this agitation before there. I have been in 3 accidents and have had back surgeries and big babies so this all contributes. I will have to hold off on the cystocele investigation until I get this pain under control. Its not like I am leaking constantly. Only when sneezing or coughing and if I cross legs, I don't at all. so It can wait as long as my bladder is not hanging down and out of the vagina. He said give him a few weeks .
Unread 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Re: My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!!

Thank you for the information, amar. We hope you will heal from this ASAP. S
Unread 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Hi Ann,
I too have SI pain, L4 & L5, 2 years ago had a steriod injection in my SI joint, helped for about a year. Although, my not being able to hold urine started before the the back problem. Back problems are so very painful, specially, at least for me, when it hurts so deep into the SI joint!
Best of luck to you, please keep us informed of your journey to be pain free .

carol
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:11 AM

Something else I have found that helps for back pain and si joint sufferers: the piriformis can also be involved. I found when I did a pirformis stretch, it helped the pulling down on my low back. I just hope and pray my back doesn't get so bad ..... sometimes I wonder if fixing it again would help any of the urinary symptoms. I do know when my lower back is really hurting or even if the si joints are really hurting or even the piriformis being very tight I have more problems with the urinary sy mptoms. When there is less pain, swelling, less compression, I have less problems with my bladder. Its weird, My si joints and pirformis were so tight one Saturday when I had to go to a wedding. I had trouble sitting and felt like my bladder was messed up. I left after I ate at the reception because I felt like I couldn't sit and it felt like my bladder was dropping worser. I did some ice at home, some stretching, got off my heels, and the next day it was a little better and I did absolutely nothing different with the bladder.
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Arrow - My SI Joints and S1 are causing most of the urinary problems!! I read si joint sysfunction and even piriformis can cause bladder feelings

I have found the hard way that when my si joints are dysfunctional or my piriformis muscles are very tight, that I have more trouble with my bladder. When I have stretched my hip muscles and lower back really well, I noticed I had bladder problems less. Its like when one group of muscles gets really tight, then it affects another one, then another one and so on if you don't intervene with something like simple stretching, chiropractic,, or pelvic floor therapy. My one chiropractor I used to go to (he's retired now) said that the back compression causes urinary symptoms also. He showed me where I had surgery L4 L5 and pointed to where the nerve(s) for the bladder come out of the same area. so I must go back to stretching twice a day and keep up with lumbarsacral adjustments. I hope my back doesn't get any worse, I think an artifical disc would be the way to go. In the US here, the artifical discs are approved for one level. I need two done. I read of a place in Germany that will do multi levels artifical discs. I would be happy to talk with any back sufferers, any one with piriformis or si joint problems that has bladder issues also.
Take care,

PS. I did order the video on this site from the store. It features pilates for pelvic pain. I am trying it. There is a section for backs. I hope it makes a difference.
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Re: I read si joint sysfunction and even piriformis can cause bladder feelings

Hi amar.

Ive been suffering with SI pain for most of my life, due to a rare form of arthritis. Its only been real bad for the last few years though. I also developed some issues with my bladder, but never thought about a possible link with my SI problems, i thought they were caused by the pressure from my fibroids. Ill know for sure after my hyster if that was the case.

What kind of issues do you have with your bladder? Mine are leaking if i cough, laugh or sneeze, feeling like i have to go even if i dont, and being unable to fully empty my bladder sometimes.
Unread 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Re: I read si joint sysfunction and even piriformis can cause bladder feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandrel View Post
Hi amar.

Ive been suffering with SI pain for most of my life, due to a rare form of arthritis. Its only been real bad for the last few years though. I also developed some issues with my bladder, but never thought about a possible link with my SI problems, i thought they were caused by the pressure from my fibroids. Ill know for sure after my hyster if that was the case.

What kind of issues do you have with your bladder? Mine are leaking if i cough, laugh or sneeze, feeling like i have to go even if i dont, and being unable to fully empty my bladder sometimes.
Hi,
do you mind me asking what form of arthritis do you have? What are your symptoms? do you have pain all over or just in your si joints?
My piriformis likes to act up alot also. I do know I have a mild scolosis so this may cause the piriformis trouble. I have had trouble in my si joints every since I have had the hyster a nd a microdisectomy at L4 L5. More after I had the hyster rather than before it. I am stretching and using ice after I stretch. I hope I don't have arthitis. I declined an appt with a rhuematologist. I was told it was my back surgery causing my si problems. What all can you get si joint problems from? I thought accidents, big babies et. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Do you have it 24/7? I read an article online about si jont dysfunction and that it can cause bladder and bowel problems if it is bad. My bladder isssues are mild stress incontinence when laughing or sneezing without crossing my legs or bracing. sometimes feel like I can hardly make it to the bathroom in the mornings. sometimes the stream starts out weak then gets stronger. I do have a small cystocele though and hypermobile urethra. but not doing anything about them as they don't bother me enough.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.