HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Week-by-week breakdown at 7 weeks - DaVinci Week-by-week breakdown at 7 weeks - DaVinci

Unread 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Cool - Week-by-week breakdown at 7 weeks - DaVinci Week-by-week breakdown at 7 weeks - DaVinci

Hello Sisters! *waves*

First of all, let me say that HysterSisters has totally saved my sanity. I didn't find it until after my procedure, but the number of times I've consulted it after...whew! If you're reading this before your procedure, know that you can ask ANYTHING afterward and no one will make you feel like you're an idiot for doing so. I also found the "search" feature incredibly useful...most of the time I didn't have to start a new thread because my question had already been answered.

This is also a great place to vent when you feel like your family, Significant Other (SO), or whoever just doesn't get it. The Sisters here do.

My doctor has been trying to convince me to have a hysterectomy for a couple of years now due to family history, HPV and really nasty cramping that only Vicodin could control.

I posted this in response to a question on the Post-Op forum, but thought it might be helpful here as well:

Week One:
Procedure took 3 1/2 hours. On a dilaudid pump for one day. Nothing but ice chips for Day One. Felt like I was coming down with something on Day Two. My nurse asked me if I was a coffee drinker. With Coffee Lust in my eyes I replied, "YES!!!" Coffee consumed, flu-like symptoms gone. Had my first BM 10 minutes before they told me the cut-off time to receive Milk of Magnesia would arrive. Liquid diet, lots of walking the floor. Day Three found me on a solid diet, more walking and I was released by my doctor that evening.

Tired. All. The. Time. No pain meds after day 5. I could drive short distances by Day 6. Discharge enough to need a Light Days pad. Peeing A LOT starting Day 5. Incredibly painful BM's until Day 10.

Week Two:
Steri-strips removed. Bowels much easier and regular by mid-week. Even though I had the robotic surgery, I'm amazed that women are cleared to work at two weeks. I tried to go in to work (voluntarily as a consultant - I wasn't expected in for another week) at 2 1/2 weeks and got slammed with fatigue after 1 1/2 hours. My attention-span was that of your average 5-year-old. (It takes awhile for the anesthesia to completely leave the system.) My dr. warned me that it would take me a little while to process information...that lasted until about 3 1/2 weeks. Discharge (some reddish, some brown, some yellow.) Some insomnia.

Week Three:
Had to go to New York and take a rather physical 5-day workshop. Made it through, but was exhausted. Got hit with gas/hearburn that led to nausea/vomiting at the end of the five days. Discovered that Gas-X is a Gift From God. Found that New Yorkers can be lovely to pregnant women -- my Swelly Belly was REALLY swelly and I looked like I was nearing the end of the first trimester. The Anesthesia Fog lifted at 3 1/2 weeks.

Week Four:
Still couldn't get through the day without a nap. Discharge slight and only yellow (no brown, no red.) Gas and swelling bad when I try to do too much, plus a bit of soreness. This is the week I got hit with a lot of moodiness...I think my ovaries kicked back in.

Week Five:
No more discharge. Still swelly and gassy. (Especially after experiencing my first "Big O" during "outercourse" which also left me feeling very sore.) Heartburn and nausea are a memory. Very tired at the end of the day, but could get there without a nap.

Week Six:
Gas is easing up and I'm chalking up my belly to the fact that I haven't worked out in 7 weeks and have been indulging in sweets. Must! Stop! Weighing in at 133 when I'm better off below 130. Haven't needed Gax-X for the past couple of days. No real fatigue after a day at the beach followed by a little shopping today. Cleared for intercourse, but due to nerves on both our parts, had !great! outercourse with my SO and was neither sore or swelly afterward.

Week Seven:
I've been doing very light workouts with handweights since week 5 and noticed an increase in Swelly Belly afterward. Yesterday, I did a full beginning Pilates workout (I've been doing Intermediate/Advanced matwork for years) and had no problems after. No swelling, no soreness...other than the tell-tale "You haven't been doing this for a while" muscle soreness.

At this point, I can honestly say that I don't feel like I've had surgery. I'm so glad I did this and can't wait to find out what life is like without worrying about what surprises my period will spring on me.

My scars are small and "interesting." No big deal.

I wish all of you a healthy and speedy recovery!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.