HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fluid Retention Post Op Fluid Retention Post Op

Unread 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Fluid Retention Post Op

Had a partial abdominal hysterectomy 3 days ago. I am retaining so much fluid--mostly waist down, but I can feel it in my sides, back. Did go to emergency last night to rule out any blood clots in legs. Has anyone else experienced this--haven't seen posts on it? Should I be concerned, how do I get it to reabsorb/go away quickly?
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Re: Fluid Retention Post Op

{{{ksbailey}}}

I put on 11 lbs post op from all the IV fluids. It is usually suggested to drink more water to help flush your system - I did and it took a few days to full less bloated. Lemons in your water can help more and I've also heard that tomato juice helps. Keep walking as much as you can without exhausting yourself to get your systems moving and draining again. The extra water will help you with the walking lol...

Be aware of pains in your legs or chest ... immediately go to the ER if you have symptoms. Otherwise, keep drinking up (down?) the water - it's the best thing to get your system to drain, even though it sounds weird to drink more to get rid of water.

I hope you feel better soon
Wendy
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM

I am about 5 weeks post op. Due to complications I have been seeing my dr. too much these days. Anyhow, I have fluid retention as well. I am on the vivelle dot patch .1 and she lowered it to the .75....she said it could be the hormones causing it. I see her again this week. I have seen a little difference in the retention but not much. I guess she will have to do something else. I have stayed away from carbonated drinks, etc....drinking water, kool aid and beer! I am keeping my kidneys flushed out for a reason. Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrwife View Post
I am about 5 weeks post op. Due to complications I have been seeing my dr. too much these days. Anyhow, I have fluid retention as well. I am on the vivelle dot patch .1 and she lowered it to the .75....she said it could be the hormones causing it. I see her again this week. I have seen a little difference in the retention but not much. I guess she will have to do something else. I have stayed away from carbonated drinks, etc....drinking water, kool aid and beer! I am keeping my kidneys flushed out for a reason. Good luck!
This helped me find answers after looking for over a year. I HOPE It may give you some ideas.. GOOD LUCK

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...=97232&print=1
Unread 06-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presouz View Post
This helped me find answers after looking for over a year. I HOPE It may give you some ideas.. GOOD LUCK

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...=97232&print=1
Thank you!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.