HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bruise going up my arm Bruise going up my arm

Unread 06-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Bruise going up my arm

So, a week and a half after my hysterectomy. And all is pretty good.

But two nights ago, the top of my right arm, close to teh arm pit area felt sore & bruised. Then last night it was sore going all teh way down my arm to this huge bruise I have from one of the failed IV attempts (not the actual IV site).

This morning after my shower, I was putting on deoderant, I noticed a bruise going from the massive bruise to the top of my arm. It looks like someone drew a line on my arm, so it is oviously running the length of a vien.

Is thsi normal, or should I be concerned? My arm is pretty sore.
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Re: Bruise going up my arm

What your describing could be an infection. Give your doctor a call. Do you have a fever? Does your arm feel warm? Is it red? Good luck and feel good soon.
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:36 PM

I had the same thing!!! It's called phelbitis. My doctor told me it's an inflamed vein. I called to call 911 4 days post op because I had uncontrollable vomiting and the paramedic didn't know how to start an I.V. I've been using warm compresses and it's feeling better. Mine looks terrible!
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:48 PM

Thanks. I was a bit worried. I haven't been taking my Celebrex (my anti-inflamatory) since befor the surgery. So I will start back up and see how it goes the next few days.

According to the symptoms I have, it is superficial. So as long as I have no fever & what not, I should be OK.

Sorry to hear what happened to you, ldteacher. Hope it gets better
Unread 06-21-2009, 05:30 PM

I dont want to scare you but do some reseach on this ASAP and call the Dr.. If you actually seen a line, its most likely is an infection in your blood and its traveling in the vein.. I worry about it because my DD had been bit by a spider and a it caused an infection in her blood since she is allergic to many pests bites, and the line started up her leg toward her heart. It did move slowly but it was on the move.. The nurse says it could have been DEADLY IF the line got to her heart.. So if the line meets the heart its not a good thing, I would have it looked at before it moves any furter!! PUT A PIN mark on the ends to see how fast its moving.

I cant see a damaged vein having a line moving to your heart.. I had a damaged vein and it was painful for over a month but I had no line going up or down the vein, just puffiness.. please I urge you to go in or at least call a DR or his nurse. KEEP US POSTED.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway