HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Repeat repair failures..is it just me? Repeat repair failures..is it just me?

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Repeat repair failures..is it just me?

As you can see by my signature below, I'm well-versed in pelvic floor issues. I had my cystocele/rectocele repaired originally with my TVH in April 2008. Just 4 months later, in August 2008, the doctor went back in to remove the sling she'd put in (because it was too tight and I couldn't urinate), and she also repaired yet another cystocele that had reformed right above the original repair. After that I thought I was good to go! NOT!!
Here I am almost a year out from both of my previous surgeries and I have not only the cystocele but also the rectocele that has reformed. *sigh* It really sucks!! I tell you one thing that has crossed my mind----I'm starting to believe that my doctor never really did those repairs just so I'd have to keep coming back to see her so she could do more surgery on me! (More money for her!)
So, needless to say, I've since moved on from her practice to another doctor. I feel that's really unfortunate because up until all of this happened, I really adored my doctor. I'd been her patient for annual exams since I was 16. Oh well, you do what you have to. And I HAVE to have this fixed...and the right way! The doctor I switched to was one that has worked on 2 friends of mine and my mom...all with current success. So my fingers are crossed! I don't know when my next (hopefully final) surgery will be, as I'm recovering from major knee surgery at the moment. But it will be sometime in the next couple of months before the calendar year is over (you know before the deductible starts over, LOL!). I'll keep you all informed/updated.
So my question is: Does ANYONE have any experience with repeated surgeries and/or failures of this nature?!? I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I also don't want to feel so alone in this.
Thanks for any replies in advance. I realize I'm new here but I really need some support in this adventure. ((Hugs))

~Calleigh~
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Re: Repeat repair failures..is it just me?

Calleigh--

I'm sorry you have to undergo YET another surgery. However, I do think you are right to seek another doctor. I stuck with my original doctor for too long also. I liked him. He had a great bedside manner BUT he was too inexperienced to do the job correctly. <sigh>

I had mesh erosion from my original cystocele repair and needed it completely removed. He would NOT remove the whole thing. I think he was intimidated by the prospect of complete removal. He was supposed to remove it at the first removal surgery BUT he did not--much to my utter dismay. It caused endless pain, misery, and repeat surgery. I should have dismissed him as my doctor right then but I didn't. I stuck with him for over a year after that and regretted it.

I finally found an expert after more failed surgery and painful 'office removal snippings'--hideous--that did the job right. He is still my doctor now. He's a urogynecologist (UroGYN) and had quite a bit more experience in both putting in the slings AND removing them. The right doctor is soooo important.

My 2nd doctor did not put any mesh in when he removed the rest of the sling. He did the older type of anterior colporrhaphy using just stitches and so far, it's held decently enough. He put me on VERY strict lifting restrictions after surgery, however. I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than the TV remote for 10 days and was not allowed to drive for that time either. He did a rectocele repair at the same time as well as the mesh removal and a perineoplasty. I had quite a bit of surgery with that round. Still, the anterior repair and the mesh removal were the 2 things we were most concerned about.

So yes, there are some of us here who've had repeat surgery and it can turn out okay. You just need to be careful with recovery.

You can do a further search for more people by going to the Google Search in the blue rectangle at the top right of the page and looking for the others.

Sending you plenty of good vibes.........

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway