HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

vaginal cuff bleeding?  TAH vaginal cuff bleeding? TAH

Unread 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM
vaginal cuff bleeding? TAH

TAH 5-28-09 Everything went well first 10 days, no bleeding or spotting, incision healing nicelythen started noticing some bloody discharge when I wiped. At 2 week check up Dr did an internal check to see what was going on and removed something from the cuff, said it would probably bleed a couple days and quit. Now I am at 3 weeks and the bleeding is more but not bright red. Dr (via nurse) says this is normal and not to worry, take it easy and they will see me at 6 weeks.

Im feeling frustrated, How can something that is supposed to be healing still be bleeding?
Unread 06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Re: vaginal cuff bleeding? TAH

I had a discharge caused by dissolving stitches from day 16 to almost 6 weeks. It started out brown, then became tan, then yellow, and finally clear. Not everyone experiences this, but a number of us do. Perhaps that is the issue?
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Hello,

I was told by my doctor to expect a variety of color discharge at 3-4 weeks after surgery due to the stitches dissolving. Anything from yellowish to brownish. He did say however if I see "red then go to bed". He said that it may be an indicator that the tissue that wasto be healing was pulling apart. In my case at about 4 weeks the brown began to be pink then an almost red. I understand what you mean when you say "not bright red". I was wishing I had a color chart to know if I should be calling the doctor's office! I did call and they said pink was normal and they asked about the amount which was slight. They said it didn't seem worrisome. At any rate, I basically went back to my activities for week 1-2. It did clear up and then I had a bit more spotting even as late as week 6. I was just careful not to overdo it. I go to the doctor tomorrow (6/22) and I will know more then. Overall, you may need to have some down time--I would suggest calling your doctor's office to be certain.

Blessing,
**MIMI**
Unread 06-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Reader501 -

I am sorry to hear of your issues.

You may have had granularization (some tissue overgrowth on your cuff). I had some that they snipped and I had a little bleeding. Thing of cuts and things you have had sometimes as they are healing you might have a scab get pulled off and it bleeds (I am not saying you have scabs on your cuff!!). You could have a stitch that is dissolving and things aren't completely healed so it bleeds a bit.

If you are worried call your DR.

Hugs and prayers for your recovery

G.
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Hi Reader501 - just wanted to put my two-cents in -- I am 4 months post-op and 1 thing I've learned from my own experience and from reading on these posts all these months, is that there is lots of healing that needs to be done inside. Anything can and does happen. Be aware of your own body and it's responses. If you feel that concerned and worried, ask to be seen by the doctor immediately or go to the ER.

That said, keep in mind that there is many unseen stitches and lots of work was done inside. It took me weeks to stop the red bleeding and then it went to the strange color staining and I had to have cauterization done at 6 weeks because I had an infection from stitches that didn't heal. Now I still have a very slight - call it tiny - yellowish discharge on some days. It's not bad at all, and considering what I lived with for years, I'll take it! No cramps, no pain anywhere! Yeah!

I hope that you find yourself feeling better and will find the comfort and confidence at the doctors office on your 6 weeks check-up which I'm sure they'll do an internal look-see if you tell them what you are dealing with.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.