HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Cadaver tissue with a rectocele repair? Cadaver tissue with a rectocele repair?

Unread 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Cadaver tissue with a rectocele repair?

I just went in for my pre-op appt. today.....

I was already scheduled for a hyst. (incl cervix) and a transobturator midurethral sling. --Prolapsed uterus and bladder. But since the last visit I have dropped even more and now have a rectocele that will need repairing at the same time. I am glad that we will be able to do this at the same time as everything else, but now I have one more thing to worry about. I have a Gyn for the Hyst. and a Urologist for the sling. The Gyn is going to do the rectocele repair and will be using cadaver "mesh". The whole "cadaver" part made my heart skip a beat!! I of course went right to my computer and started looking it up (Including past threads here). As I see it the synthetic mesh doesn't seem like a good idea at all. And as for the harvesting of my own tissue I have a genetic skin problem...Don't think I want it as internal issues. So that leaves me with the cadaver or bovine/pig tissue. The animal tissue wasn't a choice with this Dr. SO...Cadaver here we come ((UGH)) I think that after the initial gross factor sets in I'll be OK with it.

I'm wondering what you ladies know about using the cadaver tissue with a rectocele repair?
Are there erosion problems with this type of "Mesh"?
Is there anything I should know (problems or good things)?
I just haven't been able to find a lot of info on this that was helpful.
Unread 06-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Re: Cadaver tissue with a rectocele repair?

I'm sorry sea shell, but I don't have a clue...maybe one of the other sisters can help you...all I can help you with is pray you will be fine.
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:55 AM

www.nlm.nih.gov

That's the National Library of Medicine, just out of DC.

If you must search on the 'net, that's the place to go!
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the link. I didn't find anything on the cadaver mesh, but there is a lot of other interesting info on that site.
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:30 AM

Why can't your doctor just start by doing a traditional repair by sewing the separated tissues closed? That's how my rectocele is going to be repaired. My doctor would only resort to mesh if this repair should fail at some time in the future. Good chance it won't fail if I don't put stress on it by lifting or straining before it's healed. My doctor seemed to want to avoid mesh of any kind as a first line of treatment, leaving mesh for the unlikely event that I should prolapse again in the future.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Hi,

I have to give a nod to wordwiz reply. My uro/gyn did all three repairs and a vault suspension using Prolene stitches. He won't use mesh because of the problems he has seen .. he said it's awful trying to get all the mesh out.

I had my repairs done over 4 years and all is well...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Diana
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM

My doctor has the same view as wordwizard's. He says he would only use mesh in the case of repeated failures (about a 5-10% chance) or in the event of procidentia where the prolapsed organ is almost fully outside the body. For first-time prolapses he feels the most successful approach remains standard colporrhaphy.

His credentials are great... he does nothing but gynecologal surgery, has a very impressive success rate and is national president of the Canadian Gynecologists Association.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Also, would you need to use anti-rejection drugs with the use of cadaver tissue?
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtsp View Post
Also, would you need to use anti-rejection drugs with the use of cadaver tissue?
No you wouldn't need to.

I could see using cadaver tissue if you'd had a rectocele repaired and then it failed (like me), but not if its a first time repair. Hmmm. If it works, great! Let me know because I'm in need of my 3rd repair for a cystocele/rectocele!
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Have you considered getting a second opinion with a urogyn? They specialize in pelvic repairs. Just be sure to stay clear of anyone who repairs with synthetic mesh.

I'm sure that your doctor took into consideration your tissue problem. I don't know anything about cadaver mesh--I wish I could help you with that.

Don't rush into any surgery. I did (the first time) and that was a big mistake. Your condition is not life threatening and you can take your time.

Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.