HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can't get doctor to check my hormones Can't get doctor to check my hormones

Unread 06-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Can't get doctor to check my hormones

Hello,

It's been a while since I've been on the site, but I wonder if anyone can tell me if they have had the same issues I am encountering. It has been two years since I had a complete hysterectomy due to a family history of ovarian cancer and many other problems. When I went in a month ago for my annual exam, I asked the doctor to please check all my hormone levels because I really wasn't feeling good in so many ways, and we had never checked them since I had the SX. The only thing she would check is my estrogen level, which they said came back normal. I thought it would be within reason to expect that they check all levels since it has been two years and we have never gotten even a baseline number to know whta I need in the way of hormones. She put me on Estrogel, but that still didn't help for the last year, so now I am combining using Estrogel and also a testosterone cream. Anyone else having the same problem with not being able to get information. How do we even know what I need if we don't look at the levels, and then how do we know if it is working?
Thanks
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Re: Can't get doctor to check my hormones

One thing to keep in mind is that test ranges are generally very broad and we all won't feel the same at a given level. Many doctors prefer to tweak hrt based on symptoms rather than a broad test range. That said; I do have my levels checked about every 3 years just to be sure things aren't too far out of range. It is more for info and curiosity than for tweaking as I have felt balanced for many years now.

I do think having a full thyroid panel check is important as it is not unusual for the thyroid to get out of balance after menopause.

If you want a full hormone assessment done and your doctor refuses than perhaps it is time for a second opinion. I know my doc is willing to do pretty much any test that I want. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything to draw some blood and check things out.

Unread 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM

Kim is right, what can it hurt to test? I was on compounded HRT pills when my estradiol tested at 19! Thats low enough to show I was not absorbing the oral form of HRT. I went on a patch. On .075 Vivelle I tested at 49 estradiol, still low. I was having hot flashes among other symptoms so I went to .1 patch. Haven't been tested lately but I feel pretty good so I'm not looking for any tests just now.

Like Kim says, no two women are the same so the tests just give broad guidelines. If you test really low or really high, they can be useful. IMHO

Maybe it is time for a second opinion if your doc won't work with you.

Good luck.
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:21 PM

I understand your frustration bc I went thru the same thing. I am 14 months post op and started feeling bad about 2 months post op but by 7 months post op I was feeling terrible in every way and I had a majority of menopause symptoms.

I went to my gyn (former gyn now) and I asked him check my hormone levels and his office faxed the paperwork over to the lab. When I got there and asked what all this test included they said it called for estrodiol level only. I wanted a more full picture than just that bc I was at an extremely fragile state at that time (couldn't even drive some days bc of depression/anxiety and major dizzy spells).

My estrodiol came back at 52 and he claimed this was "normal". To make a long story short I went to see another gyn who refused to check ANY hormone levels at all but she was quick to give me 100 mg of prometrium which IMO she should NOT have done bc it was too much going up against the .05 vivelle dot that my body was already not liking much.

It wasn't until the end of May that I went to another gyn who specializes in compounded HRT and they actually ran a complete hormone panel on me checking everything and they did it before I could even ask about it which made me feel like maybe I had the right Dr finally. I just went back last week and THEY SUGGESTED they wanted to run my estrodiol level again to compare it to where I was at before starting the compounded HRT.

My opinion is call around and talk to other gyn offices and tell them your situation and ask "what is the first thing the Dr would do to help me? Would he/she run a hormone panel to see where I am at now?" I did that a couple of times but the offices I called did not work with bio identical HRT so I ended up not using them.

I hope you get some answers soon. If your gyn is not doing what you want and you can't find anyone new just yet you could talk with your primary care Dr and ask for this.

I hope you get some answers soon!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway