HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hyst with posterior and anterior repair Hyst with posterior and anterior repair

Unread 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Hyst with posterior and anterior repair

Have searched the older posts on this topic and found lots of good information. I had my surgery on June 8th 2009 and I'm having a fairly standard recovery. I noticed after the immediate post-op period that my pelvis actually felt more stable and more firmly strung together than it had been since the delivery of my firstborn. - 15 years ago.

I know the end result of these repairs depends on many idiosyncratic variables, but I would love to hear from sisters further down this road. What sort of activity level have you returned to? Do you had any longterm lifting or activity restrictions?
Unread 06-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Re: Hyst with posterior and anterior repair

Judna, I am no farther down the road than you--I had the same surgery the same day as you. I am thrilled with the new "me" and to have my very noticeable prolapse GONE!!!. I am interested to hear toher's experiences in this area, too!

Hope you are healing as well as I am!
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Hi all,

I've had the same surgery too - TVH with AP Repair and a TVT Bladder Sling. To soon to tell much difference - my belly still feels like it's "rearranging".

I'm right with both of you - I'll be interested to hear if there are others who have any advice, suggestions, or stories to share.

C
Unread 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Hi Tapestrie and Kittylover.
Just wanted to say thankyou for replying. Here's hoping we attract some with repairs that have been in place a bit longer than ours.
After reading the older posts on this topic, I was happy that what I'm managing as my bowel and bladder adjust to the new arrangements really are relatively minor. Quite a lot of the day seems to be devoted to this! - drinking lots, eating good food in small, regular amounts, not sitting too long, not lying too long, walking, heat packs, etc

I feel so different already that at least it makes it easier to be sensible till the end of the 6 week major recovery period. Glad you are feeling different too Kittylover and I hope it strikes you in the same way Tapestrie. I could feel it from about a week after the surgery, while I was walking, but we are all different. On advice of physio and Dr, I'm now aiming to walk for 5-10 mins every hour or so. We have deck around 3 sides of our house, so I can get something of a rhythm going.

J
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Tapestrie and Kittylover
I'm wondering if I posted this on a relatively obscure part of the website as it never came up on "New Posts". You must have been exploring very thoroughly to find it. I just reposted it. Hopefully we'll now have some hyster aunties and godmothers to tell us their mostly positive stories.
Jx
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Hi Judna & Kittylover,

Today is day 8 for me. Yesterday was a doozy - I think I must have overdone it. VERY uncomfortable by afternoon and then some bright red spotting. I had two times that I went to use the bathroom and started to pee before sitting down - I think I waited just a bit too long and my bladder was just too full. I need to really watch that to make sure I don't stress my incision.

Still struggling with finding a good balance on the bowels. I've never drank or eaten so many prunes & juice in my life

Hope all is well with both of you -

C
Unread 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Hi Tapestrie
I've had a few times when I didn't quite make it to the toilet with a very full bladder and I just can't stop the stream once it is turned on. Like you, trying not to let it get over full in the first place. Look after yourself.
Jx
Unread 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Good morning Judna,

Thanks - I went ahead and called my Urologist just to make sure - he says not to worry, it should all resolve given a bit more time. He said to just keep checking residuals periodically and don't overdue. I see him on Tuesday morning for my post op check, and my Gyn Wednesday morning.

In the meantime, I am really starting to feel different. I think once healed, the surgery will be a wonderful improvement.

Keep up your walking!
C
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Wow!! It looks like you all are lucky. I had a TVH, bladder sling, and AP repair on June 15. I feel pretty good except for the fact that I still can't pee. It is very frustrating. I am having a pretty bad day today, so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and have a better perspective on things. I have talked to others who feel absolutely incredible after the firsst 2 weeks post-op.
Unread 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM

I just had a TVH, TVT with A&P repairs on June 24th so I won't be any help but I just had to say that I'm so excited about my repairs. I took a mirror and looked "down there" lol several times and it looks like it did prior to me having babies! It looks normal again..... nothing sticking out or hanging down. I'm looking forward to having sex again just to see if it's any different. My husband never noticed a change when I had my prolapses but I bet he feels a difference now..... well, in 8-10 weeks anyway. LOL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.