HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

"Normal" size for the Endometrial lining or uterus? "Normal" size for the Endometrial lining or uterus?

Unread 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM
"Normal" size for the Endometrial lining or uterus?

Ladies,

Does anyone know what the "normal" size of the endometrial lining is?

My lining via ultrasound was measured at 2.6 cm. My uterus was largest at 9.1 cm.

Any idea? Thanks so much.
Unread 07-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Re: "Normal" size for the Endometrial lining or uterus?

A normal uterus is about the size of a woman's fist. Measurements would be about 8 x 6 x 4 cm and weighing about 100-200 grams (4-7 ounces I believe). Normal thickness for the endometrial lining is about 8-13 mm, depending on where you are in your cycle.

Unread 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Dear Weiser,

So 2.6 cm doesn’t sound very good to me! I was about half-way through my cycle when they did the ultrasound.

Thanks!
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM

hi,

My lining was measured at 2.1 cm back in March. I had a D & C and was diagnosed with simple hyperplasia. This can be treated with progesterone. You may have fibroids that are causing the thickness and enlarged uterus. What does your Dr. want to do? Good Luck.
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM

harrek,

I had a therapeutic D & C on Friday, June 26th. Right after surgery, the doctor said she had little hope it would help. She had been hoping to find polyps (after an abnormal ultrasound), but found only a couple tiny ones and a small fibroid. It reaffirmed the usual diagnosis of Adenomyosis. She said the 2 options at this point are ablation, which she didn’t hold much hope out for being helpful and hysterectomy. She said that just progesterone wasn't going to cut it at this point either.

I have been anemic, well my whole life, (I have had bad periods since menses began) but now it’s bad. I collapsed last October. Couldn’t get out of bed for 3 weeks, finally figured out I have Adrenal Fatigue, pre-diabetes, really low-progesterone levels and the anemia. My bleeding is severe. I can’t leave the house for days. The doctor says to watch the anemia for the next few weeks, watching to prevent the need for a blood transfusion.

I’m 38, feel useless to my family and am so tired of feeling lethargic and physically miserable. I’ve been on Adrenal meds, pre-diabetic meds, bio-identical natural progesterone suppositories, lots of iron, and vitamin supplements all according to the doctor's orders for several months.

Today the doctor's office told me that the the biopsy came back normal-no cancer. The other details I will find out this Thursday at my post-op check -up.

Does this make sense? Thanks for any input! Sounds like you are feeling better? I hope so! God bless you!
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:43 AM

I am feeling better, thanks. I have been taking Provera for the past 2 months. I had one period, but it was fairly heavy so I am hoping that this will work. Otherwise I am probably looking at a hysterectomy as well. I did not have the problem with the heavy bleeding. My period was just prolonged, lasted about 3 months. I am sorry that you are in such misery. I know that a hysterectomy sounds scary, but from reading other women's posting on here, it may be the most logical solution for you. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know what the next step for you is. I do know several people who had the ablation and it did work for them. Maybe before you make a final decision you should get a second opinion. This might make you feel more confindent with what you decide to do.

Take care,
Kate

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.