HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

can i sleep on my tummy? can i sleep on my tummy?

Unread 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
can i sleep on my tummy?

I had surgery on monday and was just wondering if its okay to sleep on my belly or will i push everything around I have no cuts on my belly I know this is a silly question does anyone know the answer??
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Re: can i sleep on my tummy?

Not a silly question at all! Just silly answers! LOL!
I found it very uncomfortable to sleep or lie on my belly. I don't have an incision on my belly either, but I sure could feel it when I tried! I haven't heard anything about if it is allowed or not. Just go by what is comfortable for you. I am 4 1/2 wks post-op & I am just getting comfy to sleep or lie on my tummy at the beach.
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM

I think you should sleep however you can manage to. Especially if you were a tummy sleeper before surgery.
I have no cuts on my belly and I've been lying on my front to avoid staying in one position too long, but I am a definite back sleeper.
Jx
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Yes, I slept on my tummy the 3 weeks out due to being uncomfortable but it feels much better with an pillow. I have the incision going across and on my sides it's very hard to sleep at night. Ice pack seems to help the relief.
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:55 PM

I didn't see which approach was used during your surgery, but I had mine done by the daVinci (5 small incisions) on a Tuesday and on Saturday night I rolled over on my stomach. That was a HUGE mistake! It hurt so much, especially on one of the incisions and it is still more tender than the other ones. So, I would answer with a great big no, don't do it! I am really looking forward to being able to sleep on my stomach, too.

RALH/BSO 6-16-09
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Your questions is a very good one . . . I am a side sleeper and I remember thinking the same thing. I slept on my back at first, because I wasn't sure if sleeping on my side would cause anything to move inside, but after a few days, I was back to sleeping on my side.
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:01 AM

I am also a side sleeper and found I could only sleep on the left side at first since it felt like everything was going to fall out of I slept on my right.

I like to lay on my stomach to get back rubs (kind DH) and was not able to for the first week but after that I could although it was tender to settle in but once I was settled it was okay.

I would say if it does not hurt to do it then it is fine.
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM

It took me a couple of weeks, but I am back to sleeping on my stomach. I started on my side with a pillow tucked around me. That helped really helped. I know that I go from back to side to stomach and back again.
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi shopsalot

I had a TVH and slept on my tummy as soon as I was comfortable doing so. I usually couldnt' stay in that position for long, but it was nice to feel comfortable for a while.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.