HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Uterine prolapse with rectocele and cystocele Uterine prolapse with rectocele and cystocele

Unread 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Uterine prolapse with rectocele and cystocele

I don't know if I should get my uterus fixed or taken out with my other prolapses, rectocele stage 2, and cystocele stage 3. Uterus is stage 1. Some one please answer, thank you. I also have vaginal necrosis ulcer.
How did your hysterectomy go Wordwizard? How are you feeling now? Are you glad you did have the hysterectomy? How are your prolapses now? thank you
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Re: Uterine Prolapse After Rectocele & Cyctocele Repair

My hysterectomy went fine as far as the surgery went, but I was in much more pain when I woke up than I ever imagined. Took them an hour to get me controlled, however, I can't take morphine so it was probably more of an issue than it would ordinarily be. I had the rectocele repair and that is the source of most of my pain, and the pain with having a bowel movement in the beginning was unbearable, but 9 days out isn't much of a problem anymore. Sitting is still hard. It feels like a major episiotomy. I'm still glad I went ahead with the surgery. None of my symptoms were going to get better, so I figured the younger I am when I fix it, the easier it would be on me. I would do it again, definitely.
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM

I've just had TVH with rectocoele and cystocoele repairs. Just as for Wordwizard, my medical advice was that the overall result would be better if my uterus was removed as well. Because I'm 48, that was a rational decision. It took me ages to act upon and feel reconciled with this 'rational' decision, because it isn't all 'rational'. I dealt with the less than rational aspects of it by talking to family and friends about it and a week before surgery having a ceremonial weekend to farewell my uterus and acknowledge I was putting a big thick black line through that phase of my life.
Good luck with your decision. I'm wondering if you know why you want to keep your uterus?
Jx
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:52 PM

I actually have had nary a thought about losing my uterus at age 48. I was NEVER going to use it again, probably couldn't use it again if I had wanted to, have a house full of teenagers, and the baby phase of my life has been in the rear view mirror for years. My uterus was believed to be "just fine" preop and we took it out because of the repairs, as you also were told. However, once it was out it didn't turn out to be all that healthy, it was FULL of adenomyosis and was falling out too, except you couldn't tell because my fallen bladder was holding it up. We are all different, with different feelings and reasons for our feelings, but for "me" at my age - good riddance.
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Sounds like your household and my household are broadly similar Wordwizard, and a safe distance from the surgery I would have predicted I would feel the same way. As you said, we ARE all different.

Celebrating the early departure of my uterus was a healthy thing for me to do psychologically, it was the most extraordinary fun !!! and in the process DH and 3 sons got a lot more information and preparation for the surgery and recovery than they otherwise would have.
Jx
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Now my biggest worry is wondering if I will EVER be able to entertain the thought of having something "in there" again. Is it SO sore right now I couldn't tolerate a finger much less anything else. It seems so small and tight, but I'm hoping that at this point there's too much swelling to make any determination about what I've been cinched down to. :-) I'm on 6 weeks of pelvic rest, so it's nothing imminent, but still.
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM

I know exactly how you feel.
Jx
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Re: Uterine prolapse with rectocele and cystocele

This is my question exactly; should I keep uterus or have it fixed. Someone asked original poster why even think about keeping. Well that is a good question and one I need answered too. I am 58, post menopausal for at least seven years. OH, I have prolapsed uterus and bladder with urethra problems. Thing is I have read that the uterus keeps on producing a teeny bit of hormones until we die just like the ovaries. I DO NOT know if this is true. Does anybody have any advice for me and Windyaa? I sure could use some info. TIA!
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:57 PM

I've never heard that the uterus secretes hormones after menopause, but I've heard that the ovaries do. I personally don't see any reason for someone who is 58 with a uterine prolapse to keep it. But we all have our different emotions and reasons for wanting to keep or get rid of our uterus. My doctor said the repairs would be better fixed with my uterus out of the way. Also, since I plan on a low-dose HRT after I go through menopause, it's much safer and easier to do that without a uterus. That's my personal reason for having a hysterectomy at 48.
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply wordwizard. I have no attachment to my uterus and I'm not really sure what I read about the uterus and hormones is true. I'll have to check more on that. I think I will probably get rid of the uterus and the cervix too. According to literature I brought home from doctor's office I have the option of keeping cervix even with having uterus removed.
I think having the cervix gone is one less thing to worry about too especially at my age. Plus at my age and with a family history of heart disease I can't take HRT.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.