HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What happens at six week post-op check-up? What happens at six week post-op check-up?

Unread 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM
What happens at six week post-op check-up?

I have my six week post-op checkup coming soon. I have already had an appointment at one week and four weeks. During four week appointment I had an internal exam and my doctor answered my questions. She actually asked me if I needed to come back at six weeks? Duh, Of course I do. I want her to check my incision one last time (there was a small cut that hadn't closed and still hasn't) I want her to examine me and make sure I am healing, I want to hear I am fine enough to return to regular activities. Etc., Etc., I need that closure after all of this. I wanted to know what other women have experienced during their last appointment. Sounds like my is cutting corners or something. just because I'm doing fine doesn't mean I don't want things wrapped up!
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Re: What happens at six week post-op check-up?

I had a one week check and then was told to schedule a six week check. My Surgeon is on vacation at the six week mark so she said I could come at 5 or 7 weeks. After that, I don't have to go back. She said she would be happy to see me any time I needed her but that I could follow up if necessary with my regular Doctor. I don't know what the norm is for post op checks but I was thinking I want someone to look at me at the 8 week mark (before I have intercourse for the first time!) and make sure that I'm ok to go for it. I think I might just schedule a "peek at me one last time please" just for my own peace of mind. I do NOT want problems!
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM

After I left the hospital, I didn't see the doctor until 4 weeks after the surgery. I had an internal and external exam. She answered all my questions. As everything was healing fine, I was told I did not have to go back until my one-year check-up. I was told to keep the same restrictions until 6 weeks were up. That was fine with me.

However, since you have an area that hasn't closed, I agree that you should go back for the six-week check-up.

Sorry I could not be more help. Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM

My doctor (ob/gyn) is also my surgeon, so whenever I have an appointment she talks to me about everything regarding the surgery and my medical record. That is why I am so surprised she is so lax about seeing me at six weeks. I want to hear the words,"Yes, you can work out. Yes, you may return to work. YES YOU CAN HAVE SEX AGAIN!"
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:11 AM

My surgeon is also my ob/gyn. He saw me 6 days post-op, 3 weeks post-op and 6 weeks post-op. For my 3-week and 6-week checkups, he did a pelvic exam -- primarily to make sure the vaginal cuff was healing properly. He wants me back at 9 weeks post-op for another check. He told me, if everything still looks good, he will discharge me and won't need to see me for "a while". (He also told me, in his 30 years of practice, he's only had one patient who had intercourse at 6 weeks and tore the cuff stitches. But, for that reason, he tells his patients to wait at least 8 weeks before having sex. Very honest of him.) I think the world of my Dr. He's been totally up front with me throughout this entire process and I trust him completely. I'd rather he have me back for multiple checks than to have him dismiss be before I'm ready. Certainly, anyone who's having any issues of any sort following her surgery should be knocking on her Dr.'s door! Wishing everyone speedy healing!
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:37 AM

I just had my 6 week check yesterday and I agree about your feelings of doctors cutting corners. I find it extremely dificult to talk to mine about anything. Everything is short and sarcastic answers that make me want to hit him. I was told that I still have staples in me and I'm a week behind the healing process but I can have sex again but no wild bull riding sex (in his words). So I took it nice slow and bleed anyway. Called him this morning because I was concerned. He was very annoyed with me and said, "Didn't I worn you, no crazy bull riding sex. Your fine" and hung up on me!!!! I think I may need a new doc if I cannot rectify this situation with him! If you feel that your not getting answers you need or the information your looking for confront and move on. That's my plan. Sorry for sharing my frustration.
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Dear Jujubees41,

Sounds like you need a new Dr. One who shows respect and concern for the patient. Just reading your letter and his lack of tact is disguisting. My Dr. is just the opposite and I trust him. He at all times speaks factually and thoroughly letting me know and my husband (who goes in with me for the appt) about my condition - do's and don't and exactly what I can do sexually and what I should not be doing - all the time in a respectful manner. Even my husband likes this Dr. and has high regard for him. Remember - you deserve to be well taken care of and respected.
Unread 07-10-2009, 01:38 PM

juju, the day a Doctor hung up on me would be the LAST time I ever went to him or spoke to him! Have your records transferred somewhere else. You are not getting his services for free. He is working for you!
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:37 PM

I saw my doctor at 1 week, 4 weeks (my request) and 6 weeks. I saw my doctor at 4 weeks so I could get the okay to return to work part-time. At the 6 weeks it was pretty much a Q & A: how are you feeling? And then me asking all the questions: can I have sex yet? what about exercise? lifting? I haven't bled at all, is that okay? etc., etc., She answered all my questions and then did a vaginal exam and said I was healing okay. Now I don't have to see my regular doctor until my annual exam. Pretty straightforward.
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM

Like a lot of you, my surgeon is also my gyn, and she's been great. I had a 2 weeks exam to check my incisions and to talk about my surgery and get my pathology report. I have a 6 week exam coming up, and during that exam she will do my pelvic/vaginal exam to make sure my vaginal cuff is healing, etc.

Juju, I am also in agreement with some of the ladies about your doctor. He needs a wake-up call, and you, my dear, don't need to put up with his sullen ways. You take care of yourself!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.