What is going on with this ACNE?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is going on with this ACNE?? What is going on with this ACNE??

Unread 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Question - What is going on with this ACNE?? What is going on with this ACNE??

I'm 7 mos postop from a TAH, I'm 37. First 2 mos I was on Estrace, switched for two mos to Estratest, made me very irritable, grouchy and hard to be around. Then, switched back to Estrace with testim gel. HATED the smell of the testim, and no libido and a little acne. Now, I'm 5 weeks on Premarin only. Evidently I"m not a candidate for much testosterone, so I"m supposed to go get test only compounded but I haven't went to do it yet. My issue is, I love the way I feel emotionally on the premarin, but my face is breaking out terribly. I've never had acne as a teen, just the occasional blemish, but here lately, they are deep pimples and they are popping up a LOT. The dermatologist just gave me a few topicals, which doesn't help and it just dries the blemishes. I'm trying to avoid scarring, which my skin tends to scar since I'm older, and it's becoming an issue with trying to really cover them with heavy concealer and makeup. It's almost like I have to be a makeup artist! So, if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me hear them.
Thanks,
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Re: What is going on with this ACNE??

Hi Sharon,

It is common for women to experience acne during the first year post op while they are trying to find that hormone balance. I think maybe that the imbalance itself can cause acne.

There are many things which can cause acne, but one of them is too much testosterone. Have you had your testosterone levels checked?

I would probably have that testing done first, then if your levels are not elevated, perhaps revisit the dermatologist to try other treatments. There are many to chose from, and as with other issues, there is not a one size fits all treatment that works for everyone I also had good luck with proactiv acne treatment.

Keep in mind that if it is testosterone related, I have been told it can take 6 months for all of the symptoms to go away after your levels are normalized. I think it depends on how much of the hormone is in your tissues.

As far as makeup goes, I have gotten good coverage with Bare Minerals makeup, and it is non-irritating for me.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register