HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can you use Estrace tablet vaginally? Can you use Estrace tablet vaginally?

Unread 07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Can you use Estrace tablet vaginally?

Was wondering if you could use Estrace generic tablet vaginally like Vagifem. If they're both estradiol, it makes sense that you could, especially since compounding pharmacies make vaginal estrogen from the same estradiol derivative, don't they?

My insurance will no longer cover Vagifem and suggested Estring which costs me $165!!! I would rather find a cheaper alternative.

Ideas? Anyone tried Estrace tablets vaginally?
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Re: Can you use Estrace tablet vaginally?

actually, yes I have tried it and it works well, but in your case, since you're just trying to control vaginal atrophy, i'm not sure you could get the dose low enough. I cut it several times because in it's natural amount it would be too much. So, you'd have to put a crumb inside, but it will work.
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:59 AM

What dose did you use? I have 0.5 mg tablets..... ? Were you using it as systemic ERT or just vaginal ERT? Thanks. Did you mix it in anything?
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Systemic...I had 1.0 and I cut it 3 times
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
How did it work out for you? Do you still use it that way? Did you just insert it by itself or mixed with something?
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM

It worked quite well, but bios make me even more tired than anything else so I had to stop. But it did work really well. None of the gastric issues that I have with orals, very even release, felt really good other than the fatigue.
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Was wondering if you could use Estrace generic tablet vaginally like Vagifem. If they're both estradiol, it makes sense that you could, especially since compounding pharmacies make vaginal estrogen from the same estradiol derivative, don't they?

My insurance will no longer cover Vagifem and suggested Estring which costs me $165!!! I would rather find a cheaper alternative.

Ideas? Anyone tried Estrace tablets vaginally?

I use a BIO ID capsules with olive oil and estrodial a few times a week. Its so cheap I cant believe it. I too paid 100.00 for estrodial tube that lasted less than a month. Check with a compounder you like call them talk to the pharmacist tell them you use now and their EQ of it. Thats what I did and so happy I did!! I use estrodial gel topical too, and progest cream too, working great, no one size fits all pills or patches for me, Im in control!! GOOD LUCK
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Just wondering how long you tried this for?

I just tried a tiny portion of a 0.5 mg generic Estrace pill. Initially I had some discomfort/irritation but it disappeared within 24 hours and instead felt more moisture, more plumped tissues, and mentally feel improved... !

Did your dr suggest it? Wonder if I could use it in place of vagifem, or even in place of systemic estrogen patches.

Wonder why it made you feel tired though. Did you notice any improvement in libido?
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:28 AM

Hey, there. I"m not sure why it made me tired, but it isn't any longer. Maybe it was somehting else...maybe I just wasn't getting enough sleep ...

Anyway, I tied to stop everything again and it didn't work either, so I'm still doing the vaginal way and it's working better for me than anything else I've tried.

No, my doctor didn't suggest it...I haven't even told her I'm doing it. I just was doing some reading and with my other experiences, I knew some type of transdermal system was best, I knew the patches bothered my skin and the ups and downs were horrendous, but for those few hours they worked, they worked really well. I knew the femring worked well, but it put too much estrogen in at once and then disippated before 3 months. So I said to myself...it's too bad they can't make a pill that's vaginal, like vagifem, but enough so that it's systemic. That would be perfect!

Then, I decided to try it with the generic estrace and see what happened. Figured I didn't have anything to lose. The whole pill was way too much and so was the half pill (of 1.0). then I went down to 1/4 pill and even that seemed to much. So I cut it again and that worked great. My skin is great, no hot flashes/night sweats, no aching joints or fibro pain...I feel really good and I can go out and garden or go hiking or whatever I want to do and I don't suffer for it.

Lately, I have added some testoerone back into the mix though...it seems to help my brain retain info for school. I don't do it every day tho and I seem to be fine without it regularly, I just use it during the week a couple of times when I'm studying.

I actually slept 8 hours through the night last night for the first time in ages and it feels wonderful! I don't know if I'm getting what some people would say is too much or not...but I feel good enough that I don't think I care.

Yes, my libido is through the roof! My poor old DH can't keep up...I may have to find a younger man if this keeps up to put me out of my misery! LOL!
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Hi 6andcounting-

Are you using the vaginal estrace in addition to Premarin? In another thread I think you said you were going back on the Premarin and supplementing with the bios.

Also, when do you put the tablet in? Does it take long to dissolve? And is there a danger of your husband picking up too much estrogen during sex?

Questions, questions...... I know!

Maddie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway