question about insertion of port | Cancer Concerns - GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about insertion of port question about insertion of port

Unread 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
question about insertion of port

I was on back in November--diagnosis of leiomyosarcoma. I made a decision not to have chemo then, and even though the cancer came back as a mass, removed on June 8, I am still fine with that decision. I am, however, looking into chemo now.

I have a couple of questions about port insertion and would like some feedback. (Don't know if I will need one, but would like to be prepared.) I will be asking the chemo doctor tomorrow at my consultation, but I just wanted to see what the common experience is. A friend just had a port inserted in her chest above her breast, near her arm joint, and her doctor's instructions are that she is not allowed to raise her arm for a week. She has to have people with her helping her with everything and is laid up on her 3rd day, still. Is this generally what happens, or is this just her situation?

Second question--They told my friend the insertion has to be on her less dominant side. Is this what everyone has been told? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Re: question about insertion of port

I guess all docs have their preferences about how to insert and what kind to use. Mine is a double port, which is on my right side (I am right handed--doc only uses left for some, but prefers right) and tubes go up to my collarbone and into my neck. (Other women I know have tubes that go toward the arm). I had no limitations after surgery to insert and I could take shower the following day (bandages could get wet). I really wasn't even sore! I went shopping the next day! I never saw my surgeon again. Chemo nurse just checked and used the next week. Surgeon would have been called if something seemed "off".

Hope you have an easy time like me!
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:01 PM

My doctors took xrays to decide which side the port would be placed because they wanted the most clearance from the lungs. I was told to watch that arm for several days. I was fine within a week.

I'm looking forward to when I can discuss how easy it was to remove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Thank you so much for your quick answers, especially that there are different kinds of ports. And about them taking x-rays to find the spot away from the lungs. With me there is no real option chest wise as I have a birth defect on one side that covers my upper right quadrant (a double layer of blood vessels and capillaries and tissue problems) that prevents any insertions of needles even.

I talk to the chemo doctor today and then I will decide what to do.
Thanks for the replies.
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:37 AM

My port was inserted near the middle of my chest, off to the left a bit. It was sore for about a week, but I tylenol helped ease that. I also had to stop wearing underwire bras while I had the port. The wire rubbed against the tape that covered it.

I have a photo of the port while it was inserted if you're curious. Took it to show a friend of mine. lol It is the ONLY pic I have on my "cancer days" so I decided to hold on to it.
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:04 AM

I have a Power Port on the right side of my chest (am right-handed). Apart from some soreness the first few days, it hasn't caused me any trouble (and has been a great relief to me when I've needed to get stuck!). My question now, 7 months from my last treatment, is when I might get it removed. I'm a little superstitious about it, and will probably keep it awhile longer.
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Reg
Are you getting it flushed ever so often? I was told that it should be flushed every month in not in use to make sure a clot wasn't forming.

Lyn
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Hi Lyn,
Yes, I have to go in every month to get it flushed with heparin. Not that big a deal, since I've learned the lesson of using a lot of lidocaine cream!
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Mine was placed in my chest area (above my right breast) and the tubes went into my neck. I was able to shower the next day right before I went for my chemo treatment. The surgeon told me to be kind to myself for 3-4 days (ie., don't do housework or carry heavy things).

I wore a strapless bra for a week or so until the soreness went away and then I didn't think about it much. It was flushed every month with heparin. I kept it for about a year although I could have had it removed a few months sooner.

I am so glad that I got a port and would choose to do it again if ever presented with the need. I had a friend who said that she should have done it. Instead, by the end of her treatments, her veins were really hard to find and they had to go through her hands.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveswriting View Post
I was on back in November--diagnosis of leiomyosarcoma. I made a decision not to have chemo then, and even though the cancer came back as a mass, removed on June 8, I am still fine with that decision. I am, however, looking into chemo now.

I have a couple of questions about port insertion and would like some feedback. (Don't know if I will need one, but would like to be prepared.) I will be asking the chemo doctor tomorrow at my consultation, but I just wanted to see what the common experience is. A friend just had a port inserted in her chest above her breast, near her arm joint, and her doctor's instructions are that she is not allowed to raise her arm for a week. She has to have people with her helping her with everything and is laid up on her 3rd day, still. Is this generally what happens, or is this just her situation?

Second question--They told my friend the insertion has to be on her less dominant side. Is this what everyone has been told? Thanks for any info.
Hi I still have my port in place since finishing chemo march 09. I have not had any problems other than a bit of pinching early on. No restrictions that you mentioned from your friend. Red Apple

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register