HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

New-need DX info from others New-need DX info from others

Unread 07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Re: New-need DX info from others

Hi,

I also was diagnosed with severe atypical hyperplasia - endometrial. I had a TAH/BSO and all was clear - there was NO sign of cancer, but I was told this is a pre-cancer condition.

I wish you all the best, I can remember being a total basket case right up until the pathology results came in.

Diana
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingandmoon View Post
Hi,

I also was diagnosed with severe atypical hyperplasia - endometrial. I had a TAH/BSO and all was clear - there was NO sign of cancer, but I was told this is a pre-cancer condition.

I wish you all the best, I can remember being a total basket case right up until the pathology results came in.

Diana
That's encouraging! What's BSO? Thanks!!
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi,

A BSO is bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy - ovaries and tubes removed. I wanted everything out - wasn't going to chance cancer ocurring in the ovaries.

Diana
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingandmoon View Post
Hi,

A BSO is bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy - ovaries and tubes removed. I wanted everything out - wasn't going to chance cancer ocurring in the ovaries.

Diana
Ok, I thought with a total hysterectomy they took the ovaries, thus total!!! I guess I have a lot to learn. Thanks.
Unread 07-15-2009, 08:00 AM

The testing and waiting period is really hard, but I do think it sounds like you have a good care team. I had lots of tests early on too, and while it's nerve racking at least when you see the doctor he can give you a pretty accurate assessment of what is probably going on.

I like your idea of getting away for a vacation, but of course you need to make sure that works around the appointments.

I second what the others said about trying to keep yourself busy helped.
Unread 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM

The pet/ct scan is scheduled for tomorrow morning, I guess the gyno's office coordinator fought the insurance co. hard. I said I would make an app with the oncologist/gyno. since it would probably take 2 wks for results. She said she had been told to order the results stat. I said that it was not necessary as I will be out of the country until the 2nd of Aug. She said she was told to set up the app. and she would do so for the 3rd!! I said no, I must do a report that day so she said she would make it for the 4th. Now, I am really getting a bit nervous about their urgency even though I am glad they are being diligent. Then, tonight I had a message from the oncologist/gyno office saying she had an app for me and to call! Well, I still do not have my records (letter still not ready), but they faxed me papers to take to the testing facility and it says diagnosis: cervical cancer. I really wish the Dr. had been more up front with me. I am a ball of nerves at times.
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:16 AM

The pet/ct scan was not too bad. I fell asleep. The guy said the Dr. would have my results tomorrow. I was surprised. I am hoping he won't give me the results unless it's all good. I leave Sunday for Africa and the oncologist/gyno has me set up to see him on Aug 4th upon my return. I thank everyone here for your encouragement. This week has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I will keep you all updated and hope everyone here continues to do well! I still hope to have my records in the am minus the pet/ct though!!
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Oh man, I hate that grim look from the Dr. When I went back for my first followup, the gyn found some granulation - she looked quite displeased, but I'd already stumbled upon that here and from googling, so I wasn't too shaken by it. It cleared up with 2 treatments. but yeah, the grim look is unsettling.
Unread 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Got my records today (not the pet/ct scan). They read as follows:
diagnosis A. Endocervix, curettage: Severe glandular atypia suspicious for adenocarcinoma (see comment)
B. Cervix, 7 o'clock, biopsy: Benign ectocervical squamous mucosa. acute and chronic inflammation no dysplasia or malignancy.
C. Endometrium, biopsy: Atypical glandular fragments suspicious for adenocarcinoma
Gross description: A an aggregate of slightly hemorrhagic mucus is 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.1 cm. 1ns
B. A single portion of pink-tan tissue is 0.2 cm 1ns
C. An aggregate of tan, soft tissue fragments and mucus are .06 x .05 x .02 cm 1ns MEA/j/mh
COMMENT: THE ENDOCERVICAL SPECIAMN CONTAINS SMALL FRAGMENTS OF SEVERELY ATYPICAL GLANDULAR MUCOSA WITH FEATURES SUSPICIOUS FOR ADENOCARCINOMA. RARE SIMILAR APPEARING ATYPICAL GLANDULAR FRAGMENTS SUSPICIOUS FOR ADENOCARCINOMA ARE SEEN IN THE ENDOMETRIAL SAMPLE. IN AN EFFORT TO DELINEATE THE ORIGIN (ENDOMETRIAL VERSUS ENDOCERVICAL) VIMENTIN, ER, CEA, AND P16 STAINS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED ON THE ENDOCERVICAL SPECIMEN. THE ATYPICAL GLANDS ARE STRONGLY POSITIVE FOR ER AND CEA AND WEAKLY POSITIVE FOR P 16. WHILE THIS FAVORS ENDOCERVICAL ORIGIN, ENDOMETRIAL ORIGIN ALSO CANNOT BE EXCLUDED.
Unread 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms462001 View Post
Got my records today (not the pet/ct scan). They read as follows:
diagnosis A. Endocervix, curettage: Severe glandular atypia suspicious for adenocarcinoma (see comment)
B. Cervix, 7 o'clock, biopsy: Benign ectocervical squamous mucosa. acute and chronic inflammation no dysplasia or malignancy.
C. Endometrium, biopsy: Atypical glandular fragments suspicious for adenocarcinoma
Gross description: A an aggregate of slightly hemorrhagic mucus is 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.1 cm. 1ns
B. A single portion of pink-tan tissue is 0.2 cm 1ns
C. An aggregate of tan, soft tissue fragments and mucus are .06 x .05 x .02 cm 1ns MEA/j/mh
COMMENT: THE ENDOCERVICAL SPECIAMN CONTAINS SMALL FRAGMENTS OF SEVERELY ATYPICAL GLANDULAR MUCOSA WITH FEATURES SUSPICIOUS FOR ADENOCARCINOMA. RARE SIMILAR APPEARING ATYPICAL GLANDULAR FRAGMENTS SUSPICIOUS FOR ADENOCARCINOMA ARE SEEN IN THE ENDOMETRIAL SAMPLE. IN AN EFFORT TO DELINEATE THE ORIGIN (ENDOMETRIAL VERSUS ENDOCERVICAL) VIMENTIN, ER, CEA, AND P16 STAINS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED ON THE ENDOCERVICAL SPECIMEN. THE ATYPICAL GLANDS ARE STRONGLY POSITIVE FOR ER AND CEA AND WEAKLY POSITIVE FOR P 16. WHILE THIS FAVORS ENDOCERVICAL ORIGIN, ENDOMETRIAL ORIGIN ALSO CANNOT BE EXCLUDED.
It sounds like they are not sure if it is cancer and where it originated, correct?? If anyone understands this better than me, please let me know!! Also what is ER Cea and P16? Thanks!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.