HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hysterectomy AND Rectocele Hysterectomy AND Rectocele

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Question - Hysterectomy AND Rectocele Hysterectomy AND Rectocele

Hello, I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy and I've got rectocele from previous surgeries, childbirth, age, etc. (I'm 49). Has anyone out there had both procedures done simultaneously? My concern is that the rectocele/prolapse may get worse with removal of uterus. Has anyone experienced this?
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Re: Hysterectomy AND Rectocele

I just had a vaginal hysterectomy and rectocele repair on 6/29. I originally was also having a cystocele repair but turned out I didn't need it as it was my prolapsed uterus pushing my bladder down into the vagina. Once my uterus came out my bladder went back where it belonged. I'm also 49. If the rectocele is repaired at the time of the hysterectomy, it's actually a good thing because having the uterus out of the way makes the repair easier to do well. The hysterectomy was easy, the rectocele repair has been the hard part. But I wouldn't want to have surgery twice so it only makes sense to do it all at once.
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

I had hysterectomy, Rectocele and cystocele repair June 30th and so far so good. I agree the hysterectomy is fine and the rectocele is a bit more uncomfortable but so far so good. The first week and a half are difficult, discomfort and pain wise - Bm's become a huge part of your life - but after that it gets better.

Best of luck and keep us posted,
Fiona.
Unread 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Unhappy - Hysterectomy AND Rectocele Re: Hysterectomy AND Rectocele

Thanks Girls,
I definately am not interested in having more than one more surgery. It does make sense that once the uterus is removed, there's room for the rectum to move back up. I only hope they can do something while they're "in there" to not only fix the rectocele, but prevent it from prolapsing anywhere else! I'm concerned that with the hole the hysterectomy creates inside me, other things will want to shift.
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:19 PM

I too had hysterectomy for prolapse with repair of rectocoele and anterior repairs also. My surgery was done by a urogynacologist, who routinely combines those procedures. 6 weeks recovery is a necessity, so I wouldn't want to put aside this big chunk of time twice over!
J

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.