Morbidly obese & hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Morbidly obese & hysterectomy Morbidly obese & hysterectomy

Unread 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Morbidly obese & hysterectomy

Is anyone here over 375 lbs and had a successful hysterectomy?? I am very concerned because of my weight and I am going to see an oncologist gynecologist because of my excessive weight next week for this. There are several things I am concerned about...

1. the "panni-belly" (Panniculous?) anyhow, I have the "apron" belly that overhangs and it's a huge issue. I had a c-section 9 years ago and I was still morbidly obese, but 100 lbs less as well (long story short, Depo Provera ruined my life), and I healed with no complications from that whatsoever-- we followed the doctor's instructions and I even went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum, but I was younger then as well.

2. Can they even DO a hysterectomy on someone of my size (over 375 lbs)???? I mean what if you go to someone who is regarded one of the best and they just can't?

3. Vaginal hysterectomy- I was told my gyn up here who cannot do the surgery on me that a vaginal hysterectomy is not an option because when I had my endometrial biopsy last March, she had to literally pry her way in there. TMI I know, but they gave me cervical softeners and gel and neither worked. I think I want a second opinion on this.

I have been working out consistently since March (fell off the bandwagon in Nov last year and had originally started in March 2008, regular exercise) and despite losing inches I am not losing a lot of weight (I have taken off 17.2 lbs in ONE year), and I am still doubled over in pain.

For the most part generally I am healthy. No high blood pressure, no high cholesterol, no diabetes (not even pre-diabetic), however I have Insulin Resistance, Anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and sleep apnea (treated with a CPAP). You would think that those are on my side but I can't help but think that even that wouldn't be enough. If they do not remove these soon it'll continue to impede my mobility, and my ability to lose weight AND not to mention live a pain-free life.

I just wish I had the answers. I would appreciate ANY advice from anyone here who is extra fluffy (350?+) who has gone through a hysterectomy- so much you don't know. I just hope that I can successfully go through a hysterectomy and share my story with other fluffy women who are dealing with the fear of it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Re: Morbidly obese & hysterectomy

Hi jc,

So sorry you are dealing with all this! I understand your concerns. I was about 100 lbs overweight when I had my hyster, not quite the scope you are looking at but still a big concern. It's critical, as you sure seem to know, to get a highly skilled doc. Not all docs are the same and you need to find one you are comfortable with and is experienced with fluffy women. How you do that I don't know. I talked to all the nurses I could find. Do you have any big teaching hospitals near you?

A minimally invasive hyster is the way to go if you can. The daVinci is wonderful but you need a doc that is very experienced with it. From what I've read the robot lets docs that are less experienced do procedures they couldn't do with traditional lap equipment. Either way, its all about the doc IMHO.

Wish I could be of more help, good luck.

Pat
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Actually the one I will be going to is the University of Washington which is really good. I'm going to see an oncologist gynecologist due to my high risk (weight). They do daVinci hysts as well so hopefully I'm a candidate for it.

Is it weird that I have been having dreams of the hysterectomy and needing a pannilectomy? I actually had a dream where I saw my stitches on my stomach. Weird. I think I've been researching too much (well I dont' think there is such a thing as that).

Thank you! Editing to add tomorrow is my first consultation with the doctor. I am hopeful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Re: Morbidly obese & hysterectomy/

I too am overweight - by about 120 pounds. I was scheduled for a LATH, but while in the operating room it was determined that the surgery had to be changed to an open procedure due to my weight. (My understanding is that they angle the table you lay on and when they did that to me there ending up being too much weight pushing against my diaphragm and lungs and I couldn't breather properly). Anyway, the open surgery went well. Dr. did leave my staples in for 10 days to facillitate the healing (as he put it, he can't "suture 2 sticks of butter together"!). So tomorrow I have an appointment for staple removal.
I believe the only thing you (and me) have to be concerned with is if any of the insicion will be within a skin fold because there is an increased incidence of infection. I would be forthright and ask your doctor where the incision will be if it has to be an open procedure, and what you can do to expidite the healing process.
As for me, I have taken off my dressing and laid naked on my bed in front of the fan to help "dry" my incision (hope that's not TMI!!).
Good Luck - remember what you've gone through to get to this point and in the end it will all be worth it!!

Blessings and Prayers
Unread 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

jc1978.

Hope all goes well with your appointment.
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Re: Morbidly obese & hysterectomy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaBean View Post

I too am overweight - by about 120 pounds. I was scheduled for a LATH, but while in the operating room it was determined that the surgery had to be changed to an open procedure due to my weight. (My understanding is that they angle the table you lay on and when they did that to me there ending up being too much weight pushing against my diaphragm and lungs and I couldn't breather properly). Anyway, the open surgery went well. Dr. did leave my staples in for 10 days to facillitate the healing (as he put it, he can't "suture 2 sticks of butter together"!). So tomorrow I have an appointment for staple removal.
I believe the only thing you (and me) have to be concerned with is if any of the insicion will be within a skin fold because there is an increased incidence of infection. I would be forthright and ask your doctor where the incision will be if it has to be an open procedure, and what you can do to expidite the healing process.
As for me, I have taken off my dressing and laid naked on my bed in front of the fan to help "dry" my incision (hope that's not TMI!!).
Good Luck - remember what you've gone through to get to this point and in the end it will all be worth it!!

Blessings and Prayers
Thank you for sharing your story with me! I am back from my appt and the GYN I am seeing is going to perform the Da Vinci Hysterectomy on me, he did successfully perform it on another obese person around my same weight. He mentioned laying me at an angle...it's something I am concerned about too, but we discussed being cut and it will be a vertical incision if I do need to be cut open. They are going to prepare for that.

Everthing went well...they sent me for an ultrasound today and my uterine lining is normal (unbelievable considering howlong it has been since my last real period), but I have small cysts on my left ovary and a bigger cyst (about 3 cm not huge) on my right ovary.

I'm going to have a radical hysterectomy. EVERYTHING is going. After I talk to HR at work, I will be scheduling it. It'll be either August 10th or 12th. I'm shooting for the 10th because I have to prepare with that nulytely stuff (ick- did anyone else do this too?? I had it for my colonoscopy last year and it was horrible!) the day before.

I feel confident in my doctor and I have faith that he will get me through this. There are GOOD doctors at this facility!

Thank you all for the positive thoughts, I appreciate it. My head is still spinning from this...but I'll get through it.

Editing to add! My cervix is NOT a problem. It's just up too high for a vaginal hysterectomy. I didn't have a regular vaginal birth, just a c-section so my cervix stayed high.
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM

It sounds like you're very comfortable with your doctor and the procedure. Having that kind of confidence makes a big difference.

I did not have to do any bowel prep at all, other than light meals the day before surgery and no food after midnight. That surprised me because I've read that many hysterectomy patients have to do some type of bowel prep. My sister-in-law even had do some special kind of douche!

I too had a cyst on my left ovary - about the size of a lime. Also have history of polycystic ovaries and dysfunctional uterine bleeding - thus the surgery. Mine was a total removal also.

The staple removing process was much easier than I imagined. Only a couple hurt enough that I felt the need to
catch my breath so I wouldn't cry! I just hate my belly and I think most of my fear was actually embarrassment. But nurses seem oblivious - they've seen everything and problably much worse than me (atleast I hope so!).

Good luck scheduling your surgery and please feel free to ask any questions, etc. I'm only at day 10, but feel like a pro at this point!LOL.
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Dear JC,
Hang in there Girl! My girlfriend just had an TAH last month. She was worried like you are. She has a rare blood disorder that turns your blood to jello. She is fluffy too and one of my dearest friends. She is so happy. She is pain free for the first time in 20 years. She is an encouragement to me because I'm looking to have TVH soon and I'm scared. She went to a good hospital in Utah where they treated her well.They did a vertical incision which I thought was odd, but it was better for her individually. She told me that if everyone could have her experience, they would not be afraid. She looks just as lovely as ever especially because she is smiling again. I wish you well and happy.
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Thank you both so much. I put in for a 6 week medical leave at work today and everyone at work is really glad I'm doing it. I have a co-worker (who is on here somewhere! ) who had one recently and she is doing good and feels so much better.

My right side was killing me all day today...darn cyst.

Can I ask a question- what does TAH stand for? How do you abbreviate Da Vinci radical hysterectomy? hahahhaha
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM

HI! TAH stands for Total Abdominal Hysterectomy! I'm 5 foot 3 and i weigh 233 lbs. I'm having a TAH Aug. 10th and i was concerned about my weight too! good luck!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register