HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does it hurt to have staples removed? Does it hurt to have staples removed?

Unread 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Does it hurt to have staples removed?

Good Morning Everyone... Today is day 4 of being out of the hospital and I have my first appt with my DR to have my staples removed... am I nervous? Yup you betcha I am ..I am a baby when it comes to pain. Can anyone tell me if those things hurt when they take them out? Anyone know if they will give me something to make the extraction any more comfortable, and what if those little strips they put on come off, what then? Thanks for any input on this. God Bless
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Re: Does it hurt to have staples removed?

Good Morning! Having the staples removed was no big deal. It was over before I knew it. The doctor doesn't even remove them...the nurse does. I truly had zero pain, primarily, I think, because you are still so numb all around the incision. It takes mere seconds. You can do it!!!!
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM

I had mine taken out already. It doesn't hurt. They have a special tool that clamps the staple in the middle and it reases the hold and the staple just slides out easy. No pain at all..
The strips are meant to fall off in time from bathing. It is ok if they come off.
Don't pull them off...just let them come off on there own. You will do great!

Oh and it only takes a few seconds to do!
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Oh and no they don't give you anything....you just don't even need it. I was nervous, too. I will be absolutely a piece of cake!! The little strips are easily pulled off in the shower and they will tell you when to remove them. Simple, simple stuff.
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:11 AM

It is one of the easiest things ever! Don't worry at all. Much more comfortable without them.
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm going to have mine removed today, and was feeling quite apprehensive about it until I read all the reply posts! Once again, I see that if I'm wondering, so are a lot of other women. I love this site and the support it provides!

Tanya
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Good Luck. I agree about this site and only wish that the doctor's office or hospital supplied even 20% of what I'm learning from other's who have been through this. We are so in the dark on what to expect, which seems crazy to me. Talking about all the different aspects is really helping. Melanie
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM

I had my staples out last Friday. I was nervous about it, as well, being that at my discharge, the nurse told me to take a Darvocet before going. No need to. Most of the time, I felt nothing. I think there were one or two slight pinches. I told the MA that took them out what the nurse had told me and she was surprised.
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Doesn't hurt at all!
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM

After 4 days it won't hurt a bit... I had c-section staples out in about 4 days and it was nothing. However, I had gallbladder staples out that were left in for about 2 weeks or more and that was painful, but I'm sure it was because the skin had healed around them. Four days should be a piece of cake. I JUST got home a while ago from my post op appointment and she took out the knotted end of my rectocele repair that was just at the vaginal opening. HOLY COW.... I was nearly on the ceiling after that! Three weeks of healing around those string-like sutures - yowza, now that was painful. Fortunately I didn't know she was going to do it and didn't even occur to me that it would hurt in the two minutes I had to worry about it in the office before she got back with the snippers. But it does feel better with that suture gone. Good luck... You'll be surprised how easy those staples come out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.