HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Safe, effective exercises to tighten tummy? Safe, effective exercises to tighten tummy?

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Safe, effective exercises to tighten tummy?

I am about 3.5 months post-op and need help to tighten my belly. I have heard that sit-ups can lead to medical problems after a hysterectomy. I have tried leg-lifts, but they pull and cause a severe burning sensation in my lower stomach area. I need something that is gentle but effective in tightening my tummy. It feels as though there is no tone to the muscles and it is driving me crazy. Please share your secrets to a tight tummy after a hysterectomy. Thank you in advance for your help.
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Re: Safe, effective exercises to tighten tummy?

Hi JuneBugs:
Look in the Post-Op Articles section - there's a list of exercises suggested for recovery there.

PS - It's article #22.
Unread 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Raquel, thanks - I ahve tried those and they work, just minimally. Maybe I am just getting a little anxious as my belly seems to be so loose. I am being careful with what I eat and have lost some weight, so that is not what I am wanting (weight loss). I just want to tone up my stomach. Guess I just need to be more patient. Again, thank you.
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Hi Junebugs~
I hope someone else can provide better suggestions for you. I've always had a bit of a belly on me, so I don't have any effective experience to offer on the subject....

Good luck with finding something that works!! If you find it somewhere other than this forum, please share it with the rest of us.
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Hi, I am starting back at the gym this week. On Thursday I will take a recommended class called "lite stretching and toning". It is fill mostly with seniors. The instructor is great- I'll see if she has any suggestions.
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Thank you so much. I have tried just tightening my tummy muscles as much as I can every time I think about it. That is helping. I am still looking for ideas, though. Thanks for any help you can give. I am still getting a little swelly belly - just started teaching classes last week- so it may be hard to see all the effects until that is gone.
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Hi, I did go to class last week but there was a sub, not my normal aerobic teacher. She gave me a few suggestions. Anything that works on your balance will tighten your core muscles. Try the leg lift you were doing before in a standing position. A motified version is to lift your leg (knee bent) in front of you until you reach 90 degrees, to 3 reps of 15 on each leg.

I have been doing this and can feel it pull and tighten my abs. The down side, as I have increased my activity, the swelly belly gets bigger.

Her other suggestion, everytime you think about it, imagine yourself in a bikiniand you will automatically pull in your stomach.

Hope to see my regular teacher this week.
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM

JCHart,
Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely begin the suggestions you made. I also found a few things on the internet that I am trying, but most just pull too much. Maybe I am being a baby, butr the pain I feel seems like more than just the normal pulling from starting a new exercise routine.

The exercise you suggested with lifting my leg to a 90 degree angle with my thigh parallel with the ground is one I am working on now - only with a twist. The foot that is on the ground is on a small underinflated gall that makes me work to stay balanced. It just adds a little extra work to the abs. Again, thank you.
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM

I know my personal trainer used to tell me that with some people the fat in the belly is the last to be lost and takes time (and some people will always have fat there because of their dna). I found when I exercised that things like using the elliptical, belly dancing, and other types of workouts that focused on using your core muscles helped the best. I would recommend, if you can, to join a gym like Snap Fitness or some other national chain. You can usually join on a month-to-month basis and sometimes they include a free 1 hour session with a personal trainer. Use that session to ask for exercises to help you, you'd be surprised at how much help a personal trainer can be for one hour. If you can't afford that much, talk to a gym manager, sometimes their personal trainers have specials just to get business.

Natmitt
TVH

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.