HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Cystocele and cervix removal post-op Cystocele and cervix removal post-op

Unread 07-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Cystocele and cervix removal post-op

I'm two years post-op hysterectomy (kept cervix and ovaries) plus had cystocele and rectocele repair. Now the cystocele is back, along with a prolapsed cervix. I REALLY don't want to go through surgery again. Does anyone have any options for a non-surgical fix? Willing to do anything as long as it's effective and long-term. THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO MY POST.
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Re: Cystocele and cervix removal post-op

Laura Lee--

I'm sorry you are having problems again. Has anyone mentioned the possibility of using a pessary for support? You can ask your doctor about it. You can also look it up here using the Google Search (blue rectangle at the top right of the page). It is a fairly simple intravaginal device that will support the cervix if you don't want to go the surgical route. You can also continue to try kegel exercises and help natural support that way. Before doing anything, you always need to check with your doctor and make sure everything is okay to do any of this. Your doctor would be the one who would help you with the pessary support device, too.

Best of
to You!
Unread 07-26-2009, 04:06 PM

THANK YOU for replying. I see that you have had three mesh removals, and that was one of the options give to me. Along with the pessary. And a new kind of tape to support the sides of the bladder. The last time I had surgery, I had to self-cath for more than a month. Was off work for 8 weeks. I know this is less invasive, but I thought this was all over.
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Was mesh tape the option given to you? I am NOT a big fan of polypropylene mesh--NO WAY. It pretty much destroyed my life for such a long time. It eroded and eroded and eroded. My first doctor removed it in small pieces which DOES NOT WORK. I had 2 surgeries to remove smaller portions and several 'in-office clippings'--which I call 'in-office torture procedures'--without benefit of anesthesia. ::shudder:: Whenever friends or family ask, I tell them to run from having this stuff put in them. How could I recommend it with my experience? In good conscience, I could not.

Mesh erosion doesn't happen to everyone but to the ones it does, it is a hideous complication that wreaks havoc on your life and can cause horrible pain and extra surgeries to remove it. Mesh was not originally made to be put in the delicate, elastic tissues of the vaginal area and was 'grandfathered' in under current laws of medical device approval. Yes, there are no clinical trials of this as a pelvic support device--isn't that amazing? [I can't find any and if someone does, I'd like to know where they are. I've searched pubmed.gov many times.]

Stepping off my soapbox now.......I think you are wise to avoid surgery when there are other things that might work. If I had to absolutely have something surgically supportive, it would be an alternative besides artificial mesh. There are biological tissues--autologous--made from your own fascia that would have a far less chance of causing damage from rejection.

I truly hope you can find the best solution for you.

Unread 07-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Thank you, OrahDeb - I'm going in for a second opinion and will investigate ALL my options. I really appreciate that you shared your experiences, as I can tell they were challenging to say the least. Hope all is well now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.