HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

are endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia the same thing? are endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia the same thing?

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:09 AM
are endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia the same thing?

are endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia the same thing?
Unread 07-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Re: are endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia the same thing?

Not exactly. One major difference is location: endometrial hyperplasia is an abnormal thickening of the endometrial lining of the uterus; endometriosis is the growth of endometrial cells outside of the uterus.

There are four types of endometrial hyperplasia, and the classification into one of these types indicates the likelihood that it could be precancerous.

Endometriosis is generally considered to be a benign condition (but tell that to women who suffer with it ); however, there seems to be some evidence that the risk of ovarian cancer is slightly higher in women with endometriosis.

I hope this helps.

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks so much for the info.
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Oh I thought of one more question...How do they classify what level the endometrial hyperplasia is at? How do they know?
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Pathologists examine the cells taken during a biopsy and classify them, determining the type of hyperplasia. This link has a simple explanation of the various types:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/507187

You need to register to read it, but registration is free and well worthwhile.

-Linda
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:00 PM

So odds are the transvaginal sonagram only shows evidence of the hyperplasia but one must have some type of a biopsy to show which of the four types of stages it's in right? Thanks for the link. I just want to be well informed and as educated as possible. I hate it when I call the nurse (like today for instance) and they act like everything is top secret. It's frustrating because it's our bodies, if the patient is asking just give the info. Today I called the records office and requested a copy of the transvaginal/admon. sonagram report. I signed the consent and the lady was going to drop it in the mail for me. I should get it by Wednesday. I figured it my own Doctors office won't give me any additional info about the report, I'll get it myself. I wish they would have never told me anything over the phone period. I've had the appointment with the obgyn anyway. They could have just said make sure to follow up using the referral the Doctor already gave you. Then I would not be sitting here driving myself crazy. ugh!!
Anyway, thanks again for the info. I have not really wanted to worry anyone in my personal life, so I decided to get involved with the "cyber world." lol.. Thanks so very much.
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM

Right... a sonogram alone cannot diagnose what type of endometrial hyperplasia is present; it can only tell that the uterine wall is abnormally thickened. For an idea of how difficult it can be to classify hyperplasia, even for a pathologist, check out this article:

http://www.nature.com/modpathol/jour.../3880053a.html

Good for you for requesting a copy of the report for yourself. Personally, while they may mean well and can be helpful at times, I discount anything told to me by a nurse or receptionist at any of my DRs' offices. They recognize medical terms, but are not qualified to explain diagnoses to the patient - that's the DR's job.

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a copy of the report from the sonagrams. Thanks so much for the support.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway