HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What are fallopian tubes attached to after TAH and SAH? What are fallopian tubes attached to after TAH and SAH?

Unread 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
What are fallopian tubes attached to after TAH and SAH?

Hi. All of a sudden I have gotten very curious as to what has happened to my fallopian tubes. I had an SAH 11 days ago - ovaries and cervex retained and I assume that my fallopian tubes have also been retained based on what I have read on this site and the fact that they were never mentioned by my doctor. But I wonder how they hang out in there seeing as there is no uterus to be attached to and they aren't physically attached to the ovaries. Or is the close proximity between the ovaries and fallopian tubes enough to keep thme in place anyway. Does anyone know?
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Re: What are fallopian tubes attached to after TAH and SAH?

I thought the fallopian tubes were attached to the ovaries. They aren't? How else do the egg travel to the uterus? I'm terrible with anatomy, so I'm of no help but my guess is that they are attached to ovaries and are just sewn off from where they attached the uterus. Hopefully someone who knows more will be along though.
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM

i think they are attached to the abdominal cavity by ligaments, the same way the uterous was. I may be wrong. This is a good question! I'm going to google it!

JennyAnn
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM

so according to this:
The fallopian tubes are four inches long and extend from the uterus toward the ovaries. At the end of each tube are fringe-like projections called fimbriae that (after ovulation) draw the egg into the tube, where fertilization takes place.
apparently, the fimbriae sort of encompass each ovary, not totally, but partially. I also still think that is internal ligature that attaches the FT's to the abdominal cavity.
yay for google!

JennyAnn
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

My son (who had sex ed in school) wanted to know where my eggs are going to go now. He is envisioning them floating around in my body.
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM

According to my doctor, "the fallopian tubes just hang out with the ovaries" after the uterus is removed. This is quoted from a video he has of a DaVinci hysterectomy that was shown live as it happened on the internet. In the video you see the ovaries in their proper place, and the fallopian tubes just hanging there as he said. A lot of my questions were answered by "the movie" as I called it.
Unread 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I was told that my ovaries and tubes were tacked to ligaments because they were so stretched out due to the huge fibroids my uterus was full of.
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:18 AM

Yes I guess they could just be hanging out with the ovaries. Smithie do you have a link to this movie on the internet. Would like to see it. JChart I can totally understand your son's curiousity over this. I would assume that the eggs still make it into the fallopian tubes - but I guess they get stuck there and maybe disintegrate???? Hmmmm.....some things to find out a bit more about.
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:40 AM

I asked my doctor about this. The ovaries and Fallopian tubes stay in their original positions as they were never physically attached to the uterus. The eggs just go in to a void and disintegrate.
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM

tiptoe2,
The link for the hysterectomy webcast is www.stlukescr.org/surgery. The first half hour of it is a newscaster talking to a doctor about the surgery so if you want to skip this part you can fast forward to the beginning of the surgery in the OR. It was done live at the time. I watched it several times before I went in for my first consultation, and it helped me to know what questions to ask. The surgery part lasts around 45 minutes, make yourself comfortable beforehand. I thought it was fascinating as I am a person who has to know everything! I guess it is okay to mention this video on the website we are on now, if not I'm sure they'll tell me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.