HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Severe abdominal pain, 5&1/2 weeks after DaVinci Severe abdominal pain, 5&1/2 weeks after DaVinci

Unread 08-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Severe abdominal pain, 5&1/2 weeks after DaVinci

I had the Davinci RALH (not sure about acronyms) on 07/17 - took everything except the ovaries. Recovery has been slower than expected, but I've been back at work for two weeks (desk job), and keeping shorter hours than normal. The pain has come and gone several times - I'd have a couple of good days, then a bad day or two, but overall the progress has been steady.

Last week I started having more pain when urinating and during BM, and abdominal pain that has gotten steadily worse since Thursday or so. Since yesterday afternoon, the pain has been really severe. Felt like maybe I had a bladder infection at first, so I've been drinking tons of cranberry juice and using over-the-counter urinary pain pills, but no relief. Took loratab for a couple of days, and after yesterday's pain got so bad I started on dilaudid, with no relief.

Called the doc this morning, and he sounds like he's not really sure what the problem could be (which is not very comforting!), so he's calling in antibiotics and scheduling a CT scan. Tummy is very swollen and painful to touch.

Anyone else experience issues like this 5-6 weeks post-op? My employer is NOT thrilled that I am not coming in to work today. I need this to be over!!
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: Severe abdominal pain, 5&1/2 weeks after DaVinci

Hello,

I'm so sorry that you are experiencing these new and painful symptoms. I also had the Davinici (this week will be my 5th week), however, I can't talk to what you are experiencing at this time. I had complications and dealt with severe pain for almost 3 weeks, but now I'm doing a bit better.

Since I was so sick, I keep "looking" for something bad to happen and I pray it doesn't.

In any case, please let us know what the CT scan shows and I hope you find an answer to what is causing these uncomfortable symptoms. Hugs to you!
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM

I have had similar problems 1st week of with a readmit then again 10 wks. again with another surgery.. Both times a hematoma. 1st one attached to solace muscle behind(back muscle) surgery area,,meds in hosp. desolved..2nd time surgery 5 days ago hematoma attached to pelvis had to be surgically drained... Ct and vagianl ultrasound should show this as did mine!!!! Good luck just do not leet the Dr. say it is nothing till you are feeling better!!!
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the input ladies! I had the CT Scan today and saw the dr., and the diagnosis is acute diverticulitis with micro-perforation of the colon. Not good news. I'm now on oral antibiotics and scheduled to see a general surgeon tomorrow to determine whether this is something that is going to require IV antibiotics, or surgery. According to the dr., the fact that this came up at the same time as my surgery and recovery is just a coincidence. I have a hard time believing that my luck is THAT bad!!
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:29 AM

KLB- What does your pain feel like? I have been having pain since about six weeks after my surgery, had a sonogram last week and going for results tomorrow, not sure what they are going to show. I also had the Da Vinci hysterectomy with ovaries left.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.