HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

heart palpitations & anterior / posterior repair questions heart palpitations & anterior / posterior repair questions

Unread 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
heart palpitations & anterior / posterior repair questions

Hi hystersisters! Thanks for answering all my questions and I also love to try and offer my support too. I don't have any signs of my ovaries not working (I kept the bloody things), but I am getting quite a few attacks of heart palpitations, especially when I'm resting. I woke up with a few of them this morning and have had several over these past 7 days post op. Wondering if any others have these (alone). I also had a slingplasty, the minimaly invase type and a anterior/posterior repair and even at this stage (8 days post op my urine is very slow and sometimes I have incontinence before I reach the toilet. Has anyone else got this problem who has had my repairs done? I read somewhere that the anterior repair can cause incontinence and may need to be surgically fixed but my surgeon seems to think medication will fix it. I really need some advice:
Unread 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Re: heart palpitations

Noopy,

Different medications and physiological processes can trigger heart palpitations... Or it could be your heart reacting to the stress of the surgery and recovery.

The big questions are: do you have chest pain with them? Do you become short of breath? Do you have numbness, tingling, or pain in your arms or just below your sternum? If you do, you need to go to the emergency room immediately.

Some incontinence after surgery is probably normal, from what I hear - because things are in an uproar, there is swelling, muscle spasms, etc.
Unread 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Bandimal, thanks for answering me so quickly. No, I don't have any chest pain or any of those other symptoms you mentioned. I've only been on nurophen with codeine twice a day since I got home 6 days ago. I have these constant pains all through my lower abdomen that remind me so much of braxten hicks contractions its not funny. I did have heart palps before the op as well so it's probably hormonal. I still have heaps of gripping painful gas pains in my bowels which won't go away and spend most of my time regretting having this op all the time. So, I figure it's stress related. Thanks, you have put my mind more at ease.
Unread 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi there. I started having flutters or palpitation symptoms after my hysterectomy to the point I finally went in to see my regular physician. I notived them the most when I would lie down and at night they really bothered me a lot. My dr ended up ordering me to have a EKG, and then some kind of scan of my heart and also I wore a moniter for 48 hours. All along I felt like it was all related to my hysterectomy and probably hormones because I wasn't having this problem before the surgery. Anyway...at the end of all this, everything looked fine and the dr said it's possible it's because of the extreme hormonal change my body has been through. After another 10 days or 2 weeks all the palpitations quit and I haven't had them since. My advice is to get it checked out if they are troublesome "just to make sure."
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM

I just posted about this. I am also having a racing heart feeling, along with nausea... My jaw gets tingly but I have had that before when I have a migraine.. Which by the way, I have had a migraine for 3 days which I think it lack of hormones.
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Re: heart palpitations & anterior / posterior repair questions

Hi noopy9.

I had a vag hyst with anterior and posterior repair on Aug 26th. The next morning in the hospital when I got up to go to the bathroom, my heart began racing and pounding, so much so that I almost passed out. It continued throughout the day, I kept complaining to the nurses about it, and finally one of them said "That's because you bled more than expected during surgery and you're now anemic. Your red cell count should be around 14 and yours is 8.9."

Well, over the next two days I got a blood transfusion and things settled down some. But my counts are still low and I'm on an iron supplement now as well. You might want to ask your doctor how your blood counts were. He may need to test again.

When I googled "symptoms of anemia" I saw a lot of my symptoms there, including racing heart.

Just a thought. Hope it resolves soon.

Jan
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had very little blood loss. I actually have my surgery on DVD and I can see that I hardly bled any.

Im friends with the gyn nurse and I texted her last night and she said hot flashes and hormones being out of whack can cause the rapid heart beat.

If I dont feel better by Tuesday, I will go to the doctors.
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:20 PM

I love this site! I can always find someone going through exactly what I'm going through. I woke up this morning at 6 with an extremely racey heart, was very hot too. It wasn't like a hot-flash I don't think but I felt just awful. Like my heart was pounding right out of my chest. I took an extra blood pressure pill that I have on hand in case of high blood pressure and I think it helped. I was pretty scared and almost went to the ER but made it through and after about an hour, I was OK. I have suffered with anxiety attacks before but this wasn't one of those.

I guess all of this is normal, thanks for sharing your experience.
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM

I agree, this site is great.

I was actually starting to think maybe mine was a anxiety attack... Altho, I have never had one before, I think with the sudden loss of my sister and the surgery, it might be what it is..

i really dont want to go to the ER today and am hoping its just hot flashes.

I just had a hot flash and my mom started laughing, and said that Iwill be begging for the hormone replacement in a few weeks. I think she is right.
Unread 09-05-2009, 01:31 PM

For what it's worth, one of the symptoms of changing hormone levels is heart palpitations. I learned that after a whole lot of !@#$%! tests for heart disease and similar -- wish all doctors were educated about middle-aged lady hormone changes!

Do check it out, but y'all may feel less stress if you know that hormone shifts can also cause those palpitations.

Happy weekend to all!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.