HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

can anyone tell me if its dangerous to have a prolapsed rectum if your unable to bm can anyone tell me if its dangerous to have a prolapsed rectum if your unable to bm

Unread 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
can anyone tell me if its dangerous to have a prolapsed rectum if your unable to bm

Went to the er the other night as my tummy swelled up so bad and i couldnt pass anything either way.Had an enema and the relief i felt was instantanious and i was able to empty my bladder then also.But i seem back to square one again.nothing is working.Started bloating up again.The gyn clinic rang me to have another scan and while i was in there i asked the lady if everything was normal.She seems to think i have a bowel issue not bladder which i have told all the doctors from the start.And would having a uterus that faces back be causing this problem.As she was doing the scan i was telling her where it was sore so she did scans of this area also.Im just hoping they can pick my problem up this time as i cant stand this pain much longer.
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Re: can anyone tell me if its dangerous to have a prolapsed rectum if your unable to

Being unable to have a BM is not a good state for a body.
What investigations have you had?
Do you know you've got a rectal prolapse?
Has anyone mentioned a rectocele to you?
You can search the HysterSisters site for both those terms to work out whether they might fit your symptoms.
J
Unread 09-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Re: can anyone tell me if its dangerous to have a prolapsed rectum if your unable to

I have had a colonoscopy and yes i have a prolapsed rectum.Have been waiting over two years now to have something done about it.Been to the er twice with constipation and all they did was give me an enema.But last time i got very upset and couldnt stop crying and this is when they have finallt referred me back to the gyn.I have an appointment to see them this monday and im just hoping they are going to do something about it now.Im 50 and already through menopause.It actually feels like im sitting on my bowel and the pain from it is unbelievable. I just cant understand doctors that think i have nothing wrong with me but constipation.
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM

echidna
Best wishes for your appointment Monday -- hopefully there will be something positive done to help you.
With the diagnosis of prolapsed rectum, hopefully the Dr will decide that NOW is the time to fix the problem.
Constantly going to hospital for enema does not seem a practical solution long term.
Good luck and let us know about your appointment.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM

I hope you can find out the specifics Monday, make a list of all of your ?s and be sure your Gyn answers them or you might consider a new Gyn.

Have you had a colonoscopey to rule out other problems?

I have a Rectocele causing my rectum to bulge out into my vagina. I've had this for a few years but constipation for much longer (which I've read could be part of the cause of my Rectocele).
My constipation is more often than not and can easily last a week or more. The things I've found that helps to loosen MY bm's are Smooth Move Tea (2 bags not 1 for 15 -30min.), allot of cherrys & grapes when in season (or canned or frozen), 10-12 dried prunes daily in off season, lots of salad daily, if I stay consistent with grinding 2-3 Tbs flax seeds daily, putting in a glass of warm milk is my favorite, this really helps in winter & spring. I don't use all of these together and they don't usually work quickly and some may give me loose bm's but for me that's better than the other. I haven't found any great fix to make me run normal (or what's normal for others).

If I have to have a firm bm and I can tell it's right at the door but refuses to go through (please excuse my graphicness!!!) but I have to insert my finger's into my vagina and press against my rectum giving it that firm wall it no longer has, then I can usually have success.

For now FOR ME I've chose not to have it repaired I'm a chicken for I've read it can lead to painful intercourse. But I don't often seem to have the pain that you do. My colonoscopy showed that, as my Doc said, I have a treacherous colon, long w/ lots of corners and a long flat ending to it.

You may have more than a Rectocele you really need to find out! It can be hard at first but we have to be brave & firm and be our own advocates. Do allot of research on this wonderful site and others so that you can go into your apt.s with allot of knowledge, ?s & even suggestions.

Don't give up Use all of the sources at your fingers! I hope I've helped a little w/ my story of what's helped me--- we're all made differently.
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Thank you ladies for replying to my thread.I have tried eating lots of fibre foods and fruit but its madr no difference to my bms.Ive had to resort to taking lactulose for the last year which seems the only thing that has helped me up until now for some reson its stopped working.Have had two trips to the er where they have just sent me home ince with lactulose and the second with an enema which gave me so much relief as my bladder started to work then also.Went home from hospital but made a short stop at the chemists to get a fleet enema.Lucky for me i have a wonderful guy now.After 3 days of not doing anything again the pains started badly ao i asked my wonderful partner to use the enema for me.But i cant say that this is a cure but i feel a lot better afterwards .I really dont want to have to keep doing this but im in so much pain that i have to.Im pretty sure now i know whats going on in my body so when i go in to see my gyn i will have a talk to her about it.I can remember when i was having my children the doctor delivering said i had retroversion.And i suppose whats happening in my uterus is sitting on top of my bowel and pushing into my bladder making me unable to do either at times therefore im swelling up like im 9 months pregnant,My feet and legs become so sore i can hardly walk because of the pressure build up,I dont want to continue having enemas but this seems the only thing that works for me.Im hoping to get through to the gyn doctor whats happening to me on a daily basis.Approx six months ago a woman died from a similar disorder after the doctor sent her home.Im just so scared it will happen to me.Why cant the doctors see whats happening to me and do something about it now. I have no quality of life i just feel so drained all the time.Well hopefully monday i will get some results.
Unread 09-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Good luck for your Monday appointment
J
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Ive had my appointment now and this new gyn said i have a rectocele and cystocele.I also had a colonoscopy and the doctors there said i had a prolapsed rectum.Its not sticking out of my bottom entrance too bad only when i have a poop or try to lol.I hoping just the removal of my uterus will fix this problem with no more issues.
Thank you ladies for all your support.
kayline.
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I hoping just the removal of my uterus will fix this problem with no more issues.
Kayline
Are you having a hysterectomy only, or are you having the repairs associated with the cyctocele, rectocele and prolapsed rectum?
I have been given to understand that it is best if these are all dealt with at the time of the hyster.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM

My gyn told me just the uterus will be taken out and it should fix the problem otherwise it will be back to surgery for me.

Thank you suzanne for replying to my post.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.