Open incision!?!? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Open incision!?!? Open incision!?!?

Unread 09-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Open incision!?!?

Had laparoscopy on 9/4 and last night I noticed more pain in my incision in my belly button. I took off the bandaid over the steri strips (was covered in blood) and noticed that the glue holding it together is completely gone and the incision is open. I immediately called the dr and she said that there is nothing they can do, it will just take longer to heal. That sounds crazy to me. So, does that mean it will heal with a huge hole or will it close somewhat?

This doesn't sound right to me, has this happened to someone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Re: Open incision!?!?

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with one of your incisions.

I had trouble with 2 of mine weeping, they would slightly bleed, depending on how I moved and always after I took a shower. I went in to see my surgeon a week early because I was concerned. If you still are concerned, I would definitely call the doctor back and request a visit with him sooner rather than waiting for your post op appointment.

Going to my doctor gave me peace of mind (although I did continue to be concerned) and he did tell me to put warm compresses on the incision for 20 minutes at a stretch 3 times a day. He said that will bring the blood to the incision and make it heal faster. You may want to call your doctor and ask him if that's OK.

I put peroxide on the wound first and then did the warm compresses. It was a pain in the butt having to do it because of where my incisions were. I had to undress from the waist down 3 times a day and get redressed, which when you're new to recovering, can be tiresome in of itself, and then stand there making sure you constantly had warm compresses on the site for 20 minutes got old real quick, but I must say it actually does work. It's not an immediate remedy, but it did help.

Also, I would walk around afterwards for a few hours (inside the house of course, lol) with my shirt gathered up in a pony tail rubber band so that my stomach was exposed in order to help let air get to the wound. (The doctor didn't tell me to do that, but I think it helped dry out the incision) My 2 largest incisions were the ones that were weeping. I had one a good inch above my belly button and one down on the right side of my lower abdomen. The lower one took longer to heal even though it was a little smaller than the one above my belly button, but I attribute that to not airing it like I did with my upper one.

Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask your doctor to be seen earlier than your normal appointment.

Hugs,
Lumpygus
Unread 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Hi there..
sorry for what you are going through.. I know it is scary..
Your incision will close up.. but it will take longer because it has come apart.. it will heal from the inside out.. just make sure that you keep it clean. I had a TAH and had the same thing happen to my incision.. and it will heal.. so hang in there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks girls, I was advised to do the warm compresses and I did do that all night. I was very distressed this morning and did call the dr. back and she said she would open the office and meet me there (to my delight, what dr. would do that on a holiday weekend?) My DH took pictures last night of what it looked like to show the dr. and it really did look better this morning, the warm compresses do work! She cleaned it and redressed it and told me to take it easy in the next few days. I will continue to do the warm compresses as much as I can. I though I was going to be in the Guiness book of world records for the biggest belly button ever!!!

Hugs to you all and thanks for listening and your responses.
Unread 09-06-2009, 01:34 PM

I had a TAH and my incision opened up in 2 places. One place finally totally closed up last week and the other one is close. I am just over 2 months out from my surgery. My doctor told me to take a shower twice a day to help hold off an infection.

The holes will close up, it will just take a while.
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:48 AM

So happy to hear you were able to see the doctor and that you're on your way to a more peaceful recovery!

I noticed that as I used the warm compresses each day, my bleeding would subside until finally I did not bleed after my showers at all, so I stopped doing the warm compresses. Took a good 5 - 7 days as I recall though.

My scabs did not start to fall off until I hit about the 1 month mark and even though they were partially hanging off, I would still put them back in place, lol, with some antibiotic ointment because I feared what my skin would look like underneath once they fully came off.

There is a bit of an indentation in my skin on the one above my belly button which has filled in a little bit since the scab came off, but what they both look like is new skin but really, really red in color. The color is starting to fade though, but they're still reddish compared to my natural skin tone.

I told my husband that it's a good thing I'm beyond the bare midriff and bikini wearing stage because it is rather noticeable. Curious to see if it will fade in time.

Hugs to you and remember to pamper the princess!

Lumpygus

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register