HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What is a vaginal cup? What is a vaginal cup?

Unread 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
What is a vaginal cup?

Hi ladies. I've read several topics where "vaginal cup" is mentioned, and I really feel dense for not knowing what this is. BUT I figure on here, were all ladies and I shouldn't be embarrased just because I don't know something, but maybe somebody can explain that one to me? Is it something that the doc put in me/us during the surgery?
Thanks
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Re: What is a vaginal cup?

Dragongal -

Could it possibly be a vaginal cuff? The vaginal cuff is where the vagina is sewn together at the top after the cervix is removed.

G.
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Hi, I've also heard it referred to as the apex of the vaginal vault indicating the cervix has been removed. Were you mistaking cup with cuff like a misspelling? otherwise not sure.
Good question and you are right about this being the place to ask all your questions
What type of surgery did you have?
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:41 AM

the other cup I know of is the vaginal cup but I used it instead of tampons. Silicon cup inserted in the vagina to to catch the blood. also called a menstrual cup. Of course now that I am past the big event, mine will no longer be in use, certainly something to look forward to.
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Good Morning ladies!!! Thanks SOOO much for explaining that to me. Yes, it was a typo on the spelling, and should have said "cuff". I searched the internet after I got off this site last night, and the only cup I found was like what mitoday spoke of. My surgery consisted of taking it all out. No cervix, uterus, tubes or ovaries with the use of laproscopy? (a camera?) I am hearing impaired, which makes alot of the larger words the doc uses hard to lip read. My DH explains to me in a way that makes it easier to grasp. lol I also don't know what all the abreviations mean. LAVH? RVF? These are just a few mentioned on THIS thread. Another reason I enjoy this site so much. You ladies really know how to make sense of alot of .....stuff that I just couldn't find a way to ask someone not on the site about. Thanks alot. I really did think I got something implanted in me. LOL
Hugs to all!!!
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Hi
I tried to figure out how to tell you to find this post but decided cut and copy was better. It is written by Kathy keeper of in 2001

What is hysterectomy? Abbreviations used here and hints on where to post

What is a hysterectomy? A hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus in part or in whole. It is NOT the removal of ovaries (which is called an oopherectomy).

Helpful Abbreviations for Hyster Sisters:
This website has been up since 1998! (I can't believe it!!) Through the years we've adopted many abbreviations from the net that we use easily. They are easy to type and easy to understand.

For the most part!

Recently, in the past few months, one of our well used abbreviations has changed meaning by a few members and the confusion has begun! Here is the list to help...so that we don't scratch our head and wonder what the member meant in her post!

TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy)
BSO (bi-lateral salpingo oopherectomy) ....removal of both tubes and ovaries
RSO (right ovary, tube removed) (LSO-left side removed)
TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy)
LAVH (laproscopic assisted Vaginal hyst)
LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy)
SAH (supracervical abdominal hysterectomy)
HRT (hormone replacement therapy
NHRT (natural hormone replacement therapy)

DH ( dear husband)
DS (dear son)
DD (dear daughter) <---this is the one causing confusion!
Dr or MD (doctor)

LOL (laughing out loud)
ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing)
BTW (by the way)
IMHO (In my humble opinion)

These abbreviations are used all over the net and we've just taken them in as our own, including DD (daughter!) Lately when the members have assumed this DD must mean doctor...they type interesting posts about their DD doing their surgery and the rest of us scratch our head and think...WHAT?? Their daughter is doing their hyst for them??

Makes for funny reading...but it does help for us to use the abbreviations the same way.

Hope this helps when reading some posts. RVF stands for recto vaginal fistual, you may also see VVF that is vesico vaginal fistula both are post op complications involving abnormal passage from one organ to another.

Happy healing and keep asking questions. In the future could your doctor write down the big words so you could look them up yourself. I've asked that a few times. The good docs don't mind. An educated patient who understands there condition and its treatment is more likely to be compliant and get better faster.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.