HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

burning pain in buttocks and down both legs and feet burning pain in buttocks and down both legs and feet

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
burning pain in buttocks and down both legs and feet

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. A few months before my surgery, I was experiencing a burning pain in my buttocks and down both legs and feet, also a feeling of pressure in my pelvic area. The doctor did an ultrasound and found very large fibroids, it ended up that what they thought was my uterus from the ultrasound, ended up being a fibroid. There was also a very large fibroid pressing on my colon. My doctor said the pain in my legs and feet may be due to the fibroids pressing on nerves. I am 3 weeks post op and as still having extreme burning pain. It may just take time for nerves to heal. Please help, if any of you have any information about this. Thank you so much!
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Re: burning pain in buttocks and down both legs and feet

I would mention this to your doc when you go for your checkup. Everything is so tender and swollen for a while after surgery...they are not very gentle in there!
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:22 PM

Do they feel like spasms in your pelvic area radiating down your legs? Do you have them all the time or do you notice they go away sometimes. I was having the symptoms I described before my TVH and my dr. thought after they would go away. Well 2-3 day after surgery I noticed that they were still there. She may have to refer me to another dr to see about the nerve issue as well.
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM

They do not feel like spasms in the pelvic area, just a burning sensation all through my legs and especially in my feet. I am going to a neurologist on Friday, I will let you know if I get any answers. The strange thing is the burning pain intensifies greatly when I sit down, it feels like something is being pinched when I sit down. Good luck to you and thanks for your reply.
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM

I, too, have a burning sensation in my buttocks. It has been 7 weeks since my LAVH 7/28. The strangest thing was that I was suffering more from rectal pressure and bleeding prior to my surgery than I was my periods...come to find out, I had a uterus full of fibroids and a fibroid the size of a softball anterior to the uterus. My uterus was totally retroverted and squished against my rectum. My gyn was sure it would relieve the rectal issues. To our surprise, they worsened after surgery. I was hurting more and bleeding more...rectally. I also struggled eating after surgery. I wound up going to a GASTRO dr who referred me to a Colon/Rectal surgeon. I had a CT Scan, Colonoscopy, and surgery 2 weeks ago = hemorrhoidectomy (very "impressionable" internal and external hemorrhoids) and a lateral interal anal sphincterotomy(anal fissure repair). This has been the most painful thing I've ever had to experience. I have cried everyday. Today is the first day that the pain is not excruciating when I stand and walk. I have fought constipation...so I'm taking lots of fiber and one stool softener in the evening. I'm able to eat again, too. I'm just scared to have a bowel movement. I have literally felt as if I was going to go crazy. I'm a middle school teacher and have missed 5 weeks of school now...I'm ready to be better...BUT here' the kicker...I have a rectocele also. The colon/rectal surgeon has said that i need this surgery, too. I go next week to find out how well I have healed and when the next surgery is. He would not do all 3 procedures together because he said I would be totally incontinent. Not good...so i said i understood. Needless to say, I have been overwhelmed. In June...all I did was go in for a pap and wound up going through all of this, including a vaginal ultasound and biopsy prior to the LAVH. All of this has happened in 3 months....and i still have burning in the buttocks...probably due to the rectal prolapse/rectocele...
I hope you find some relief. I sit on a heating pad that helps some.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.