HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cervix removed ?? Cervix removed ??

Unread 09-13-2001, 10:57 AM
Cervix removed ??

Was wondering if any of you sisters had your cervix removed during your surgery ? I am scheduled for a TAH on 9/17 and the doctor told me today that he would be removing the uterus and cervix, and only remove the ovaries if he needed to. For those that did have the cervix removed, what was the reason ? Just curious .....

Thanks much

Lori
Unread 09-13-2001, 11:06 AM
Cervix removed ??

My doctor gave me the choice between a TAH (cervix is removed) and a SAH (cervix is retained). I chose the TAH, because she assured me there would be no problems with support or sexual function (she was right in my case at least).

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 09-13-2001, 11:55 AM
Cervix removal

Hullo Duckies

I had my cervix taken during TAH, due to heavy periods and numerous abnormal smears that didn't respond to other treatments.

I feel great life in all ways is so much better, no probs with sex, no more periods every 10 to 14 days, back pain and sciatica had decreased, the money saved on sanitary goods will pay for a holiday after a year.

The decision has to be yours discuss all angles with the OB/GYN, and make sure that no mater what u have done REST.

Good luck
Philomena
Unread 09-13-2001, 12:03 PM
Cervix removed ??

I kept my cervix and ovaries. The reason my doctor decided to leave the cervix was that I had no history of cervical cancer in the family and I had no abnormal pap smears. He said that the chances of my having mini periods were quite small. Unfortunately, at six months, I had my first mini period. It was very light and lasted only 24 hours. However, it was quite disconcerting to say the least.

I am going to wait a few months and see what my bleeding pattern is. If it only last 24 hours per cycle and is as light as it was this month, I can live with it. I don't like to think about having the cervix removed now due to the fact that my doctor says it gives support to other organs in the pelvis.

The decision to keep or lose the cervix is a personal one and you should have a frank discussion with your doctor about it.

Laura
Unread 09-13-2001, 01:32 PM
cervix

Hi
I had a TAH on July 18th and they left my ovaries. I had a lot of large fibroids and that's what they decided to do. I have had no bleeding since the day after surgery and feel great. Everything is going really well and it's one less worry about cervical cancer.(it does not run in the family) That's my two cents worth anyway.

Lynn
Unread 09-13-2001, 01:52 PM
LAVH/everything removed

Hi, due to ....adenomyosis, endometriosis, fibroid tumors, ovarian cysts, abnormal paps...you name it!...I had everything removed on 8/27/01. I feel so much better post-op then I did pre-op! I didn't realize how ill I truly was until after the surgery. I have experienced little pain, but I am not certain about sex yet since it's too soon for that. The posts I have been reading are overwhelmingly positive in that area. Overall, my energy level has returned, and I feel so grateful to have my health back! Good luck to you. If you trust your doctor, s/he knows best, I believe.
Unread 09-13-2001, 02:07 PM
Had it all removed

I would have to say what Chemyn said. The doctor left the decision up to me but I weights all the things that Chemyn mentioned and decided to have my cervix removed. I also had endometriosis and didn't want to have any thing left that would add to the potential of endo returning.

Good luck on your decision. Do your research so you are at peace with what ever decision you make for yourself.
Unread 09-14-2001, 09:00 AM
Removed it!

Really didn't think to much about having it removed, but I had had a number 3 pap and my did a biophsy (can't spell) and when she tried to dialate my cervix it was so sentive that it started to bleed and was so painful that I was biting my fingers to keep from crying. She didn't get to do what she wanted but the bio was normal. So she was the one who said take it out and following her lead I said OK. I have a very trusting relationship with my . I feel she knows my body really better than I do. It was a good thing she took the cervix, because I didn't want a period of any kind. I even had a period the first 4 months that I was pregant. So believe me when I say I had had enough. She also assured me that everything would be supported or she would see that it was supported. Time will tell. I feel great and the 18th I will be 3 months post-op. Good luck and make your decision yourself, don't let anyone make it for you. I did but it was a choice to let her make that decision.

Women are World Wonders
Unread 09-14-2001, 09:46 AM
Cervix out?

Hi Lori
I've had mine out. Dr advised it. Thought a lot about it; am reassured by what I've read on this thread, the conclusions are largely mine also. Whatever the decision, make sure you are comfortable with the reasons and you will feel good about it. Best of luck.
Love
Elizabeth

TAH/BSO

"Fibroid free...............feels wonderful!"
Unread 09-14-2001, 10:22 AM
cervix removed?

i was told that it reduces the risk of cancer and that sex wouldn't be affected... so i opted for removal. it's only been 10 days since surgery, so i can't say much more than DONT BE AFRAID, you'll be surprised how fast it goes. and drink LOTS of water!!! good luck!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.