HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

light headed, spots before my eyes, then blackout light headed, spots before my eyes, then blackout

Unread 09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
light headed, spots before my eyes, then blackout

Ok so sisters I am having alot of the same issues, more so light headed spots before my eyes then blackout.... I called the dr and the nurse told me my iron was ok and bloodpressure looked good a little low but she said that was ok, this was pretty scary it comes and goes she also told me to call my primary doc to see if they can help me it didn't sound like anything the gyn office could help me with... What could this be I never felt this way before my hysterectomy ???
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Re: light headed, spots before my eyes, then blackout

((jbo6109))

I experienced this for several weeks following my hysterectomy.

There are a variety of issues than can cause your symptoms. One, the low blood pressure. Your blood pressure does not have to be really low before you have symptoms, especially when going from sitting or standing. Blood sugar problems can cause the your symptoms. Hormonal imbalance, sinus infection, ear infection, vertigo problems can all cause similar symptoms. Pain medications might be part of the problem.

I would suggest keeping a symptom diary for the next few days and then contact your primary care physician. In the meantime, you might avoid driving, try to have someone with you as much as possible, get up slowly rather than jumping up, drink plenty of fluids, and try to eat as well as you can.

For me, the symptoms were attributed to a whole variety of issues including diet, hypoglycemia, dehydration, blood pressure issues, and surgical complications.

Be careful and keep us posted!
Unread 09-19-2009, 07:52 AM

I also had this a few times after my surgery. What I found was that my blood pressure would drop but my pulse would be high (near 100). I read that dehydration could cause it and although I thought I was drinking enough (I'm not good at staying hydrated) when I upped the liquids, it went away. I would give that a try and see if it helps. I think keeping a journal is also a great idea and if it continues, I'd definitely check with you GP.
Unread 09-19-2009, 11:15 AM

I am also having this in a lesser form. I get lightheaded easily and feel woozy when I stand up or bend over.
As far as I know, I'm medically sound. I can only assume it's just the body recovering still.
Unread 09-19-2009, 09:35 PM

I had this problem just today. I didn't black out, but greyed out. Over the past couple of years it's been happening more and more, especially if I stand up too fast or have been sitting on my feet. My doctor said it's related to low blood pressure and being dehydrated (which go hand in hand, actually), as others have mentioned. I really hate it because that lightheaded feeling makes me so sick. If it continues I'd definitely ask your doctor about it so he can rule out any other possible issues going on.
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Another thing to consider is when is it happening -- I had the same thing post op after a shower and they believed it was vaso-vagal. Your body has been though a huge change. Good luck.
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:52 PM

I do know that my bp runs low however I do drink like 100 oz of water a day plus green tea idk??? I went to bed at like 130 am lastnight and found that u couldn't get out of bed today I woke up at 12 pm never have I done that but I felt sooo sick that's why I stayed in bed.... I am hoping this stops soon bc I start back to work oct 9th and I work anywhere from 10 to 13 hrs a day on my feet , this will not be good if it continues , I do have a dr appt tomorrow in the am so we shall see..... Hopefully I can truly feel better one day soon

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.