HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pain on left side at waistline... Pain on left side at waistline...

Unread 09-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Pain on left side at waistline...

On Sept 2, 2009 I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal or ovaries. Suddenly I have been having pain on my left side, on my waistline but nowhere near the incisions. Does anyone know why I may be having pain so much higher than my incisions & why the pain seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure if its anything I need to call my doctor about yet. Tonight, the pain was so intense that I was doubled over a few times but it seems to have subsided now that I have laid down. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Re: Pain on left side at waistline...

sgonzal013,

Sorry to hear you are having pain again.
One thing I can think of is that it is your bowels. I have noticed that pain on the left abdominal area is often attributed to bowel movements. Try to increase your fiber and stay away from gassy food. Maybe that will help.

The other thing is that perhaps something is stretching or healing up in there.

Either way, if you spike a fever or the pain gets too bad, you might want to give the a call.

Unread 09-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Hi sgonzal and welcome. Do you feel like the pain is inside? Or does it feel more like a stitch in your side. I have had both types of pain. The first type of pain, like LookingforaSis suggests, is likely to be pain from the bowels. For me this sort of pain began about a week after surgery and lasted another couple of weeks. It got worse when I needed to go to the bathroom and I could feel gas moving through as well and things often got worse soon after eating. I added fiber to my diet (BeneFiber) and occasionally had to use a glycerine suppositories to help go which relieved the pressure. Good luck with it.
Unread 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Hi Sgonzal-

I had a SAH in 8/27 and I have the same problem, but it's on my right side. I finally traced it to my bowels. I've added Citrucel to my diet and if constipation is really bad, glycerine suppositories work like wonders. I'm also taking Gas-X, as needed. Unfortunately, I suffer from IBS on top of this. So, it's making life very interesting at the moment!

Hang in there and keep track of your bowels.

((Hugs))
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:22 AM

It sounds like you girls were thinking the same thing I was. The thing is I'm not having bowel trouble, in fact they are loose most of the time. I have however, noticed that my left side hurts really bad if I wear a different pair of pants with a slightly tighter elastic waist than my sweatpants. Once I've worn the pants (with the slightly tighter elastic waist) for about 3 hrs, that's the longest I can go before it starts to feel like I am being stabbed in the side. I have to go take them off & lay down. I would like to know if any other ladies have had similar problems (not being able to wear certain clothes after their hysterectomy). I'm not even sure if I can manage wearing my scrubs back to work when I return. Tonight I went into work wearing my pajamas because I knew nobody was there & I could. Even with that though, I only lasted an hour & then called my husband to pick me up because the stabbing pain was getting worse. I think it's probably a combination of my elastic waist being a little too tight & sitting up too much without being reclined. I never realized that I wouldn't even be able to sit up for very long before my body would start hurting & telling me that is enough. When does that feeling go away? Luckily my boss recently invested in fancy chairs & I found a somewhat reclining position it can do so I am going to try that. When I reclined it back it literally felt like it was relieving the pressure from where all my surgery was done, but the pain had already gotten bad before I figured out how to do that with my chair. Hopefully next time I can use it longer & see if that keeps the pain to a minimum. What do you ladies think about this? Do/did you have trouble with sitting up without being reclined?
How long does that last? Also if anyone has any tips they can share with me on how to use this website that would be great. I'm having a hard time finding my way around. I would appreciate any input you ladies could give me. I look forward to hopefully making some really good friends through Hystersisters.
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:07 AM

Hi Sgonzal013,

I know what you mean about sitting up! I went from not having a swelly belly in the evenings/ mornings to having one when I went back to work. It finally dawned on me that it was the chairs!!! I was sitting up in a normal desk chair and not my trusty recliner. I've found that icing my belly several times a day helps a lot. I just have to remember to do it, which is hard.

But, I have to admit, you are lucky not to have bowel problems. Wish I were you!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that today my constipation issues from yesterday will be resolved! =)

((Hugs))
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:51 AM

I'm 5 1/2 weeks SAH and still have the "side" pain. I've had it since the day after surgery on both sides! In addition it radiates down in a "V" shape from both sides. I can't wait for this to end...... It doesn't happen when I recline....just as you described! It only happens when I try to stand for more than 30 minutes or I sit for more than a couple hours. A real bummer.
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:20 AM

My problem is that when my left side starts to hurt I also start bleeding (light pink color) again. All of this seems to be triggered by my sitting upright for too long. Today my husband & I had to take a drive that should've only been 2 hours & instead ended up being almost 4 hours because we got lost! I felt fine in the car cuz I took motrin before we left, no pain until it wore off when we got home. When I got home I went to the bathroom & immediately noticed I was bleeding bright red blood (like a period), but just an hour earlier was just having the light pink bloody discharge, so I went to lay down assuming that my body didn't like how long I was in an upright sitting position for the drive. After I laid down with my legs up, I continued to bleed & just a little while ago passed a blood clot a little larger than a dime. Motrin seems to take care of the stabbing side pain I've been getting most of the time, however tonight I took Motrin when I got home & recently took my last percocet & my side is cramping pretty bad right now. Everytime my side cramps like this I usually have a little bit of light pink bloody discharge, but this time is the worst because it's not discharge at all, it is bright red blood just like a period would be. My Dr.'s have not pushed on my stomach at all when I've gone in for my post op appts, they just look at the incisions & how they are healing & tell me to keep my activity level to a minimum. How would they know if I am having some kind of a post op problem if they are not even pushing on my stomach? They have made it sound like any post op problem involves saturating a maxi pad in 1 hour &/or a fever. If I don't have a fever & am not saturating a pad within 1 hour then then they just tell me to rest. I've asked them about this stabbing pain I get in my side. They don't know what it is or why I'm having it but just continue to tell me I have had a major procedure & my body is still trying to heal from everything being moved around in there. I have no idea if I need to be concerned about the blood clot that I passed tonight. It scared me when it happened but I don't want them to think I am one of those paranoid patients. Should I call my Dr or does anyone know if passing blood clots is ok? I mean I know when you have a period it's expected but after a hysterectomy should I expect the same kind of bleeding/clots? Since my hysterectomy I've only experienced light pink & dark pink discharge... never bright red blood. Not like this. Should I contact my Dr. or just rest? Does anyone know why just something as simple as sitting upright causes this to happen?
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM

sgonzal013

I would go ahead and give the a call. It probably is normal but, it would put your mind at ease. it doesnt hurt to call and ask.

Unread 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Sgonzal013,

Please give your doctor a call. It'll ease your mind and then let us know what they say. It'll ease our minds, as well.

((Hugs))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.