HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Uncontrollable urine leakage ~ anyone else? Uncontrollable urine leakage ~ anyone else?

Unread 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Uncontrollable urine leakage ~ anyone else?

I had my radical hysterectomy on July 21st after the first week and a half I noticed that I would just leak out urine occasionally, but now being 2 months post op it is uncontrollable I wear very large serenity pads which fill up within an hour or less, when I have the urge to urinate I can control it; but this other issue is like a constant leaky faucet. I just returned to work after 2 months and this is an issue being on my feet at least 9 hrs a day. I now wet the bed everynight even with depends it's just out of control.I had stints put in during surgery from my kidneys to my bladder I think damage occured when they were removed before leaving the hospital.After talking to others and seeing this is not a normal occurrance from the surgery I'm going to contact my docter to see what can be done. Has anyone else incountered this issue?
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Re: Uncontrollable urine leakage ~ anyone else?

I am having some similar issues. I am having a TOT on September 28th. I really hope it fixes it because I can't keep on like I am going now. I need to be on my feet a lot as a teacher and it is hard to do that when I have urine leaking more when I am standing.
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM

I too have been suffering with bladder leakage or so I thought it was bladder leakage since my TOH in Jan.
My gyn is finally sending me to a Urologist. I've tried DetrolLA but only gave me blurry vision.
After my gyn appt yesterday, last night I tried a test myself. I used a tampon (for the first time in 10 months - what a weird feeling!) Anyway, this morning it was filled with what I think was urine!
My worst time for leaking is at night. I wake up with the feeling of gushing several times a night. During the day is only slightly, but I always were a liner or pad. When I had the tampon in last night, I did not have the gushing feeling. I slept almost thorough the night, usually I'm up 3-4 times. Now atleast when I go to the urologist I can tell her what I've found out.
I didn't even think of trying the tampon before my gyn appt. I wish I would have maybe I'd get this resolved faster. He mentioned a fistula so I'm sure that is what I have.
I shouldn't have waited so long to find out what my problem is. But I kept thinking it was going to go away on it's own. After having major surgery, I thought my bladder and body needed to adjust. Well, it's not on it's own!
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Hello ladies,

I had a LAH on 9-9-09. The hyst went well however a day later in the hosp i started leaking urine with a foley catheter in place. I was in alot of pain and a CT was done to reveal that my bladder had been punctured during my hyst. I have a bladder fistula (hole in my bladder). After a week in the hospital with heavy duty antibiotics for a very bad UTI and pelvic infection I was sent home with a foley catheter. The cather is to be removed on 9-28. I am told that sometimes if you wear a cather for a few weeks the fistula will heal itself. I will find out next week how it is healing. I am scheduled for another surgery at the end of Oct. to have the fistula repaired. If I were you I would definately folllow up with your gyn and stay on top of it. I am not sure what will happen when I go back in to have the catherter removed and I am still leaking....I was told I will have to wear diapers until the surgery because the risk of infection is to high to replace the catheter. Needless to say I am not at all happy with this inconvience. As far as the hyst I feel really good! Too bad it didn;t just end there. Good luck to you.
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM

I edited my post here as I can't edit the original post!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfarmer View Post
I too have been suffering with bladder leakage or so I thought it was bladder leakage since my TAH in Jan. (edited to say TAH not TOH)
My gyn is finally sending me to a Urologist. I've tried DetrolLA but only gave me blurry vision.
After my gyn appt yesterday, last night I tried a test myself. I used a tampon (for the first time in 10 months - what a weird feeling!) Anyway, this morning it was filled with what I think was urine!
My worst time for leaking is at night. I wake up with the feeling of gushing several times a night. During the day is only slightly, but I always were a liner or pad. When I had the tampon in last night, I did not have the gushing feeling. I slept almost thorough the night, usually I'm up 3-4 times. Now atleast when I go to the urologist I can tell her what I've found out.
I didn't even think of trying the tampon before my gyn appt. I wish I would have maybe I'd get this resolved faster. He mentioned a fistula so I'm sure that is what I have.
I shouldn't have waited so long to find out what my problem is. But I kept thinking it was going to go away on it's own. After having major surgery, I thought my bladder and body needed to adjust. Well, it's not on it's own!
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your replys, I went to the Dr this past week, he said I'm healing well.I go to the Urologist this coming Mon My Dr said due to the surgery I have an overactive bladder.I'll see this Mon. what can be done.
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear1162 View Post
I had my radical hysterectomy on July 21st after the first week and a half I noticed that I would just leak out urine occasionally, but now being 2 months post op it is uncontrollable I wear very large serenity pads which fill up within an hour or less, when I have the urge to urinate I can control it; but this other issue is like a constant leaky faucet. I just returned to work after 2 months and this is an issue being on my feet at least 9 hrs a day. I now wet the bed everynight even with depends it's just out of control.I had stints put in during surgery from my kidneys to my bladder I think damage occured when they were removed before leaving the hospital.After talking to others and seeing this is not a normal occurrance from the surgery I'm going to contact my docter to see what can be done. Has anyone else incountered this issue?

ypu have this problem

found out I have a cystocele and a rectocele and am being worked up for a possible fistula

but my bladder was injured during surgery, caused a big hole when he removed my cervix and had to have a urologist called in as an emergency to the OR to fix it. I also had stents put in and had to go home with a foley catheter for 3 weeks.

you should really see the urologist for f/u who put the stents in for post-op f/u and let him know about your symptoms..

why did you need stents in the or? did your bladder or ureters get cut accidently?

if it is just leaking without coughing lifting, sneezing etc it could be a fistula.

or you may have stress incontencne that could be caused by a bladder prolapse which can be cause by both hystorectomies and surgical induced menopause. did you keep your ovaries.. but it sounds like you are leaking when your bladder isnt stressed.

you can also try putting a tampon in your vagina. if it gets urine soaked in a short time thats pretty indicative of a fistula.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.