HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

pain after 3 weeks vag hysterectomy? pain after 3 weeks vag hysterectomy?

Unread 09-21-2009, 06:44 AM
pain after 3 weeks vag hysterectomy?

Hi everyone. I had a vag hysterectomy on Aug. 31...ovaries remained. I am a bit worried as I am still experiencing pain and discomfort (minimal spotting at this point). Sometimes I think the surgeon must have used a rotor-rooter in there! I'm doing light housework...dusting, dishes, folding laundry...nothing too strenuous, but really thought I'd be doing more by now without pain. I was sleeping quite well during my second week of recovery, but this past week has been steadily getting worse....lots of nightmares and waking up at 2 or 3 a.m. and not being able to get back to sleep. I'm not taking prescription pain meds any longer so the sleep can't be related to that. As I read through the other postings that people have made, it seems like the women who have had vaginal hysterectomies have recovered much quicker. I'm an elementary school principal and would like to get back to work soon, but with the amount of pain/discomfort and tiredness I'm feeling still this doesn't seem like an option in the near future. Sorry to be negative and go on....just getting frustrated, I guess.....I'm not used to not being in control and not being active. Thanks for all the great ideas in previous postings for pre-op and post-op care!
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Re: pain after 3 weeks vag hysterectomy?

I'm about 3 weeks out from my LAVH, and this week has been the most painful and difficult for me as well! I called my DR and spoke with her and she said it was normal, and would pass. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this as well! BIG HUGS!
Carol
LAVH 9/2/09
Unread 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM

KLE and Younghyst

Remember that everyone heals differently so don't judge yourself by others standards. I had a robotic procedure and posts were saying 2 to 4 weeks and it took me 6!

Give yourself time, even though it was vaginal it was still major surgery. You just don't have the abdominal incision to remind you of that.

G.
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

My surgery was vaginal also, but I had more complications than most. Just because it's vaginal, doesn't mean it's not MAJOR surgery.

Give yourself time. There's a reason women take off 6 weeks (sometimes more) after a hysterectomy. Even light housekeeping can wear us out at this point. I'm almost 4 weeks out, and a shower tires me.

Rest when you're feeling the pain. As someone else on the boards said, "pamper the princess."

Take care.
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM

I had vag hyst and repair 5 weeks ago,just doing light things and driving... Still feel v uncomfortable inside check up in 10 days time
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM

You are still very early in your healing. You can't really compare yourself to anyone but I can tell you that week 5 was worse for me than week 4 so sometimes it seems you do take a step back. You will get there though. It does get better.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Hi!!!
It is so hard, truly. I had no idea that they meant it when they said "6 weeks initial recovery"....
As you've heard, everyone heals differently. At week three, I was frustrated by feeling good one day, and horrid the next. I also spotted more then, probably from being up doing stuff when I felt good. That was my major meltdown week, I was "over" being Recovery Girl, and I wanted to be able to DO stuff and feel normal again.
This will not be forever, it really won't! Sometimes it feels like it.
Also, even though you still have your ovaries, it wouldn't be unusual for them to still be "asleep" from the surgery, and as your body uses up the stores of hormones it has, that could cause some of your sleep issues. I'm at 5 weeks out today and I still lay in bed for a while before I actually fall asleep, and wake frequently. When your ovaries wake up again I would guess that things will return to normal.
As you know, everyone reals differently, but I had the most wonderful week last week (4 weeks). I felt way more normal that I have, had way more energy than I had. I'm still not lifting anything but I did clean house for the first time yesterday, slowly and carefully (didn't vaccuum), and I just LOVE feeling mostly normal. Truly now it is a game of not lifting or doing too much.
Please hang in there!!!!!!! It's coming, the healing is happening and freedom to return to "normal" is coming!!!!

Take care!

ps- thank you for being a principal! That's quite a job!

Nicki
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi, sorry your not feeling better this week. Is it possible your doing more than your realize? Maybe you should stop doing things around the house for a couple of days and see how you feel. Are you still spending time during the day resting (or napping) in bed?
Even though you had vaginal surgery and have no external incisions to heal you had a lot of work done inside. Try not to compare yourself to others. This early in your recovery you will mainly hear from ladies who are either doing really great or having issues. Keep in mind there is an entire middle group that may not be posting at the moment.
As we say the waiting for surgery is the hardest part. Well the second hardest part is learning to relax and take care of ourselves
You do not have to be productive - your body is healing and your job is not to get in the way! Read some books, watch a movie, take a walk or have coffee with friends, go buy a paint by numbers kit. Anything that requires little physical or mental effort. This time will pass and you will be back in the thick of things before you know it
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks for posting this. I too had a LAVH on Sept. 1. In general I feel good, but this week I started having the back pains that others have mentioned. It has been helpful to hear from others with LAVH because I think that others in my life and myself think, oh, I didn;t get the big cut, so I must be over reacting. But, I still lost two organs and my ligaments and muscles, etc all have to re settle. I MISS pilates and dance and hiking and walking my dog and all of it...I am so afraid I will over do it, but I cannot sit still very long......but thanks, its helpful to know others are in the same boat!
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:47 PM

Hi Ladies,

I too had a LAVH on September 1, and today I honestly almost lost it. I've been doing generally well, but this one day of doing great followed by one day of not wanting to move at all is getting to me. I want to get a little better every day and know what to expect, but I guess it doesn't work that way now does it? Grrr! But, as long as I know it's normal, I'll continue trying to have more good than bad days and hope for the best! It is comforting to read that I'm normal and I really appreciate all of you for that!

Wen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.