HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Complex Septated Cyst on Right Ovary Complex Septated Cyst on Right Ovary

Unread 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Complex Septated Cyst on Right Ovary

I could use some insight on this latest development. And have been having lower abdominal pain for 4 or 5 days. So Monday I called my family doctor and she sent me for an ultrasound yesterday morning. She called with the results last night... A complex septated cyst on my right ovary measuring only 2 cm. (I've been reading and you ladies have much bigger ones than mine) It's funny though how something so small can cause so much pain. She said that judging by my age (28) that ovarian CA is not likely but that this kind of thing is out of her area and scheduled me with the gyn doctor who handled the prenatal care of my last child. I have a 10 month old daughter and a 7 year old son. I've been managing the pain with aleve which doesn't really do anything for me but I can't take anything more even though my doctor offered since I'm breastfeeding still. In fact, I haven't even gotten my period back. I have a high pain tolerance anyway since I had my second child without an epidural and went a day and a 1/2 without anything with my first during a 2 day labor. I usually don't go to the doctor unless it's really bothering me. It's not my appendix since that's out already. I have a history of womanly problems... Ectopic pregnancy, 3 colposcopies due to abnormal cell growth on my cervix but this cleared up on its own, and breast cancer runs in my family. I've heard if oral contraceptives don't diminish the cyst they may need to remove it or the ovary entirely. Should I be concerned because it's septated? Or since it's so small it's no biggie? My husband and I want more kids so I'm kind of attached to the idea of keeping my ovary. Does anyone have any thoughts on my situation? Thanks for any insight!
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Re: Complex Septated Cyst on Right Ovary

Hello
I had a 5cm cyst like yours, it turned out to be a serous cystadenoma and Brenner tumour (both benign) that looked like just one thing on ultrasound.
I had a hysterectomy and removal of ovaries and tubes, but that was because I also had a large uterine fibroid which had been bothering me for a while, and also because at my age (49) I am unlikely to need my bits any more!
My consultant said that if I had been younger he would have just taken the affected ovary, as he had a good look round and was pretty sure all was benign.
I think with such a small cyst as yours, even in the unlikely event of it being malignant, it would be feasible to preserve your other ovary.
Hope all works out well for you.
Kathryn
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Hi
I noticed you said breast cancer runs in your family. Not sure if you are aware of this, but genetic ovarian cancers runs with the same BRCA mutations, as the breast cancer. I wasn't aware of this...I knew my family was chock full of breast cancer - my mom 2x, all my aunts, and almost 100% of my (female) cousins. No ovarian cancer, that I knew of, but turns out there were a few within the family that had it. After testing, found out that my family is BRCA1+.
I was 31 when diagnosed. They told me they were 99% sure I did NOT have cancer, but sure enough that's what it was.
I'm not posting here to scare you, but I do feel you should maybe look into this information with your doctor, if he/she hasn't already brought this up. I ended up having my hyster with a regular gyn instead of a gyn onc, and it cost me another surgery and a poorer prognosis...
Another thing, I don't believe they can properly diagnose ovarian cancer - or rule it out for that matter - without physically looking at the tumor, so you may want to also chat about that....
I'm wishing you all the best, if you have any other questions, go ahead and PM me.
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:07 AM

So a septated cyst even one of only 2 cm is something to be concerned about??
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM

My consultant (VERY experienced gynaecologist with expertise in ovarian cancer) said any cyst that isn't a simple cyst could be cancer, BUT 95% aren't and the risk of cancer increases with age, the peak being after the menopause. He also said that mine, if it were cancer, would be early cancer, due to its size (5cm).
I hope yours is nothing, like mine, but I know it is hard not to worry.
Sending positive thoughts your way xxx

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.