HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Endo Hyperplasia w/o atypia not regressing Endo Hyperplasia w/o atypia not regressing

Unread 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Endo Hyperplasia w/o atypia not regressing

Hi,
I was diagnosed with endometrial complex hyperplasia without atypia 3 months ago and prescribed Provera for 3 months. I just had my follow-up biopsy and the hyperplasia has not regressed (and thankfully has not progressed to atypia). I only spoke with the nurse, and she has to talk to the doctor to find out what the next steps will be.

Has anyone here had this experience? I've found a couple of sites that say that hyperplasia without atypia that does not regress is a "cause for concern" or "cause for alarm," but no explanation as to why. Is it more of a risk to progress to cancer? I know I have to ask my dr these questions, but I'm just nervous waiting. Also, I am a bit more concerned because she says it is bizarre that I even have this condition, as I just turned 38 and am thin -- basically no risk factors.

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Re: Endo Hyperplasia w/o atypia not regressing

I do not have an answer for you. I am in a similar situation, except mine is simple hyperplasia. I am on Provera and I am not sure it is working. I will go back in November for a biopsy to check. I am also young (40) and thin. My doctor just told me that some women stop ovulating reguarly and that is why we have unapposed estrogen. I am having light spotting still and my periods are still extremely light. I keep thinking that my lining is growing thicker with each passing month. Let me know what they tell you. Good luck and I hope that you get some answers. Hopefully it will be an easy solution.

Take Care,
Kate
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:22 PM

I had the same Dx in June. My drs said that it is "two steps" from cancer. Since I had already been on progesterones for a year, I was advised at the very least to have a d&c or a lap hysterectomy. Since I have had very heavy irregular periods for over 5 years and chronic pelvic pain for over 4 yrs, I went with the TLH. And I'm so glad I did it! I'm post op day 13 and I'm feeling better every day! I would advise that if you are told to have a hyster, find a very experienced surgeon who can do a laprascopic hyster.to see if your case can be done that way. I had 2 c-sections and my TLH was so much easier!

Good luck!
Hugs!
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Hi Kate,

I heard from my doctor and I have to get another biopsy in 3 mos. I now have an IUD, which I got inserted at the same time as my last biopsy, so I guess she's hoping that this will do the trick. When I was on Provera, I had one heavy period then spotting the rest of the time. I also wondered how that was going to rid the thickened lining. I guess it didn't! Hopefully yours will clear up with the provera.
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:51 AM

Dana,

I'm glad your hysterectomy went well. I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that for me, as I 've never had children, and would still like to keep that option if possible. I figure if this doesn't progress to aytpia, I'm ok with keeping everything where it is. Did you also have hyperplasia without atypia that they treated with progesterone without success?
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM

They discoverd my hyperplasia after I had been on progestrone for a year. So I guess my answer would be yes that I had no siccess with the peogesterone. I've heard of a iud being used and also the dr said I could go the d&c route first before going with a hyster. (I chose the hyster because I was hoping that'd also cure my chronic pain). My pathology rpt came back clear. Praise the Lord! But back to you, if your dr suggests a hyster ask about the iud treatment or a d&c options!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugs and Prayers!
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM

I am glad that you are able to try something before a hysterectomy. I have already had a D & C. My dr. scheduled that in April and the pathology came back simple hyperplasia. I know that is the least concerning hyperplasia, but i also wonder how quickly it progresses. It can be so confusing. I do not have painful periods, they are also really light so I am hoping this provera will take care of it. Good luck with the IUD.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.