HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long for Premarin to work once getting back on? How long for Premarin to work once getting back on?

Unread 09-15-2001, 09:58 AM
How long for Premarin to work once getting back on?

I am 41 years old and I had a TAH/BSO in 1996. I was started on Premarin 1.25 mg daily immediately and have never had any problems with hot flashes or any other menopausal symptoms and no side effect problems. I have never gone more than a couple of days without taking my Premarin. A couple of months ago for financial reasons I ran out of Premarin and went off of it for 2-3 months. Needless to say I started having horrible hot flashes, on the average of one an hour. I have now been back on Premarin 1.25 mg daily for the last week and am still having hot flashes.

My question is: How long before the Premarin begins to work and my hot flashes go away? It's driving me nuts!

I have definitely learned my lesson and will never, ever go off of Premarin again.
Unread 09-15-2001, 10:04 AM

It took me a couple of weeks to get back to feeling comfortable, but I'm still having night flashes. My primary care told me to start drinking soy milk and that seemed to help quite a bit, but I think I'll talk to my GYN anyway. Just in case going off has caused a change I'm not aware of.

Good luck. It's the pits isn't it.
Unread 09-15-2001, 03:22 PM

Atenisis,
It could take as long as 4 weeks to gradually get back to normal. Hot flashes can happen from low levels of hormones but as your levels flucuate the hot flashes can continue. I imagine that within a couple weeks, like Wendy said you will feel much better...but give it a full month for full affect.

Becky in OHIO
Unread 03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
how long premarin to work?

I have been off premarin for 2 months and am miserable. I now have it again and am anxious for it to start working. I know it takes time but I feel like time is running out. Hot flashes are not fun, night sweats are awful, and I would love to sleep for one full night. At Any rate I believe it takes up to 15-30 days to work again. We women need to try and stay on our pills that way we won't go through all this but, me too, have had financial problems. Good Luck all and hey is there a chat room here?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway