HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Tomorrow is my Pre-op appointment Tomorrow is my Pre-op appointment

Unread 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Tomorrow is my Pre-op appointment

Tomorrow is my Pre-op appointment (1 week prior to TAH) the following is a list of my question that I prepared from the forums but I can't sleep and am afraid I have forgotten something or don't know to ask something so suggestions are more then welcome! Also I know I am getting blood work done but is there anything else I should expect?

Pre-surgery instructions/Anything specific I need to do to prepare for the surgery?

Is there any concern about possible infection being released by having my teeth cleaned the day prior to surgery?

Can I take a sleeping pill the night before surgery?

If clear liquid/tea is allowed in the morning, can it have sugar?

Will pre-operative baseline hormone levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone as well as bone density testing be done?

Will pathology report be done of all organs removed? Not an option...I want one done!!!
How long before I receive results of my pathology report? (If cancer is suspected, what kinds of options are there?)

Will I be given a sedative before going into the OR? .... NO epidural !!!

How long will the surgery take? If the surgery is delayed someone will notify Ian?

I hear internal adhesions can be an issue, will any precautions be taken to prevent them? What precautions can I take to prevent them

Will I have a tummy binder or a belly band? Will I need one?

What kind of post op care will I need/ what kind of post hysterectomy follow-up care is typical?

On top of my IBS. I hear gas is a real problem after this type of surgery? How will this be dealt with in the hospital? How can this be lessened at home?

Will I have a catheter/when can it come out?

What medications will I be on in the hospital for pain?
What medications will I need at home, can I get them prescribed prior to discharge?

When will I likely be discharged from the hospital?

How long will I be on bed rest?
Will I need help at home? For how long?

What type of Exercise can I do and when will I know I can start?

When should a follow up physical be booked?

When can I bathe or shower?

How will I know when I can drive?

Uterine Fibroid
HSIL
TAH Oct. 6
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Re: Tomorrow is my Pre-op appointment

Hi JVL!

It looks to me like you have a good list of questions. My pre-op testing involved a few things in addition to bloodwork. I had an EKG, which is standard at my hospital for anyone over the age of 40, and because I used to smoke (years ago), I also had a chest x-ray.

The paperwork I brought home included a phone number I could call if I had any other questions, so if I'd forgotten anyting, I would have been able to call back.

The pre-op appointment was where it all started to feel real to me. I'm glad you found us before your surgery so we can help you get ready!

:starthugs:
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM

I have my pre-op appointment on Friday, and your list definitely has some great questions on it that I'm going to ask!! Thanks for posting it.

One question that I am definitely going to ask is "Will I have a private or a semi-private room?" I believe that the hospital I am having my surgery at has all private rooms, but I'm not 100% sure on that, and I definitely want to know ahead of time what to expect. I would certainly prefer a private room and depending on the cost, I would be willing to pay a little extra out of pocket to have one.

As the date gets closer and closer, it is starting to become a little more real to me. I'm getting a little nervous, but I'm anxious to get it all over with!
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM

My surgery is October 12th and I already had my pre-op tests. They "pushed"me into getting them all done early. You have some of the BEST questions, and I am calling my oncologist today to ask them all.

Having da Vinci laparscopic hysterectomy, cervix/uterus/fallopian tubes and ovaries for a 2 year 'missed" atypical complex hyperplasia.
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:03 AM

You have a great set of questions there --One I thought of as I was reading your list is --If you are taking my overies will you start me on any hormone replacement at the hospital-- I didnt need it myself but thought might help you b4 hand tc best of luck
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Thank you for the responses everyone
Well all I can say was that it was interesting, some of my questions where routinely answered as she went through the procedures with me but when I started to ask others she interrupted me and said that only the DR could respond to them. I was able to assert myself and get a few more answered somewhat reluctantly. When I asked about the belly band or tummy binder the Nurse found it amusing and rather disdainful stating the last time she heard of anyone using one was back in the 70's.
I am still confused as too why I can have sugar in popsicles and sprite but not my clear tea but at least I know I can take a sleeping pill the night before my surgery.

I learned my short term memory is really shot as between the short walk from the lab to the bathroom I forgot I had to actually pee INTO the little bottle for my urine sample so had to drink a gallon of water while I waited till I could go again ...sheesh LOL!

Also during the PAC I lost even more confidence in my OB-GYN as I learned that he not only scheduled a 1 night stay in the hospital instead of the 4 to 5 he stated originally and is normal for a TAH but that while he did cancel my consent for the TVT as I requested he did not cancel the accompanying cystoscopy which seemed to really ticked the nurse off.

Upon my return I had a really nice message on my machine from one of the PAC nurses I had spoken to on the phone a few weeks ago about donating my own blood. She called to inform me that my she made a point of checking my blood and that it was really high in hemoglobin with lots of room for it to drop if there were any complications .She had previously informed me that donating ones own blood it is not routinely done here for this type of surgery and that it would require me to start 4 to 6 weeks prior to surgery as well as a couple of two hours trips out of town to Sudbury to have it done. After dealing with the nurse I had today who although was only doing her job was rather brisk, it was nice to have that call from someone who was willing to go that extra mile to ensure that I have one less thing to fixate on. Now if I could only find myself a general Doctor and break down the communication barrier I am having with my surgeon I would have two less.
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi Jamie,
You have alot of great questions, i suggest writing them down, also bring a notepad and pen for note taking, as you will probably be overwhelmed with so many questions to be answered. I got a giggle out of the fact my name is also Jamie and my TAH is Oct. 6th, and I'm new here also. lol However, my pre-op is Thursday. Best of Luck...
jadas "Jamie
"

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.