HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I want bioidenticals!!! I want bioidenticals!!!

Unread 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
I want bioidenticals!!!

I kissed my uterus and ovaries goodbye on Sept.9, 2009. After about a week of waking up all night long in pools of sweat my doctor gave me Enjuvia. Enjuvia seems to work for me but I'm afraid of the risks, breast cancer, stroke, etc., from prescription hrt. I want to use bioidenticals. I keep reading that bioidenticals cannot be patented because they are merely plant based and you can't patent a plant mixture. I want the simplicity of a scrip, but not the risks. There is way too much info out there confusing me, does anyone use bioidenticals or herbals? The list of herbal supplements was so long it seemed like I would be making an entire meal out of one dose of them! Premarin seemed to be the closest thing to natural, but my doctor and I both think that anything made from mare urine is just gross lol! I just want to know what are the names of some pills that I can take that are bioidentical and not chemical or synthesized hormones? And I don't want to go into a natural food store and spend like $100 a month. One of my doctors sells bioidentical hrt but charges $95 per month for them. I just don't have that kind of money! I guess my question in a nutshell is this: what is everyone else taking, and paying for bioidentical hrt? Is there a website where I can order them that is not expensive? My sister pays $400 for her mixture of chinese herbs, I just can't go there...
thanks for reading my rambling!!!!
I sure miss my ovaries!!!
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Re: I want bioidenticals!!!

Hi There are plenty of bio-identical options out there. The estradiol in the patches such as Vivelle-dot and Climara is bio-identical, and many DRs are comfortable prescribing those. By the way, the Vivelle-dot IS patented - they patented the way the delivery system works, not the estradiol molecule itself (which they cannot patent because it is the same molecule your ovaries made - it has nothing to do with being a "plant mixture").

There is a difference between bio-identical and natural. Bio-identical means it's the same molecule your ovaries made. Natural means it comes from some sort of source in nature, whether that be plant or animal. Most bio-identical estradiol products come from either soy or wild yams, but they are processed in a lab to yield the estradiol we use. The wild yams themselves, for example, are not bio-identical nor are they effective for symptom relief - our bodies cannot convert them to estradiol.

There are also herbal products marketed for menopausal symptom relief; however, most women in surgical menopause find that they are not adequate for our needs. They either contain phytoestrogens, like black cohosh and red clover, which are much weaker in effect than estradiol, or they are herbs which are supposed to act by stimulating the ovaries, which we don't have anymore. Anyway, jmho, but I am more comfortable replacing estradiol than taking herbs because my body is not having symptoms because of a deficiency in herbs.

My own personal preference is for transdermal HRTs like creams and patches because they don't tax the liver the way pills do. However, they also tend to be expensive, depending on your insurance coverage. I am paying over $50 a month for my patches at present.

If you want to go with something inexpensive but bio-identical and don't mind the idea of taking pills, you might ask your DR about oral Estrace, or its generic, oral estradiol. The generic in particular is very cheap. Your DR may have samples you could try to see how it works for you.

I hope this helps.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Wow, thanks so much for clearing all that up. It was way too much for me, I wasn't sure what I was even looking for! I have a box of vivelle dot, one of my doctors put me on them a couple years ago, I don't remember why...I put one one a few days after I got home from the hospital but I think I must need a stronger rx. That's good to know that it's bio identical, the Enjuvia isn't, I read about it, it's all synthetic, but it works so well! When I go back to the dr I'll ask for vivelle. Do you take anything else like progesterone or testosterone? I was on testosterone injections for a year before my surgery, I quit a couple of months before when I found out my test. was 800! I think it's supposed to be 50. It was good for maintaining weight but it had side effects!
I don't know why but my gyno doesn't push hormones. She wanted me to not use them unless I really had symptoms. Is HRT lifelong? I'm 44.
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovariesRIP View Post
Is HRT lifelong? I'm 44.
My doctor told me that I could take HRT as long as I want to. From what I understand, the time frame involved depends on each patient, her medical history, current health, and probably other factors.

The last I read, "bioidentical" HRT products have not been scientifically proven to be any safer or universally effective than other HRT products on the market so I would not be concerned about that aspect if I were you. What I would focus on is what makes you feel like the best "you" that you can be.

s,
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:08 PM

So many people struggle to find the right HRT - if you have something that works well for you, it might be worth staying with.

I have no experience with any kind of hormones, but talked with my doc about it this morning. The research I've found pretty much echoes what she said: According to the ACOG, the FDA and the Mayo Clinic, there's no evidence that bioidentical hormones are any safer or more effective than synthetic ones.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better about taking it, but Enjuvia is plant-based.
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I think I can't be picky here...thanks for all the input, though. I think I'll stay with the enjuvia or vivelle dot, not sure. I guess which ever one keeps me drier at night! What a pain haha!!!
I checked out some Suzanne Somers books, it lead to mass confusion. I think that was what got me all freaked out in the first place!!!
Ignorance is bliss!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.