HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can you feel your intestines moving? Can you feel your intestines moving?

Unread 10-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Can you feel your intestines moving?

After the hysterectomy when there's more empty space in your abdominal cavity, can you feel the other organs moving or shifting to take up that space? The thought of that just really creeps me out.
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Re: Can you feel your intestines moving?

Had my tvh with a&p repairs the 29th home today. I asked the docs that exact question and he said the uterus only takes up a small amount of space unless it is really enlarged(mine wasn't) and will fill in. It really creeped me out too and I havent felt any thing moving around.
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM

A normal uterus is about the size of a woman's fist so there isn't a lot of space that needs filled in. I have no recollection of feeling any of my organs (typically the intestine) moving to fill in that empty space so you should be okay!

s
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM

I did not feel a thing! I don't think there are too many nerves in there that could sense such a shift. But, I am sooooo not a medical person so that's just my crazy guess.

Don't worry about it. Nothing creepy about it.

Best wishes.
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:16 AM

i do have to say there was a few days where i felt what i thought was my insides moving and adjusting to the empty space- it didn't hurt, just felt wierd! i don't know if that was what it was- really bad gas or digestion issues but it did pass..... try and not let it freak you out- you may or may not feel a thing... just remember the reasoning behind all of it, and be happy you won't be in pain anymore!!!
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:07 AM

I don't remember feeling any difference after my surgery.

Best wishes.

Unread 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehitabel74 View Post
After the hysterectomy when there's more empty space in your abdominal cavity, can you feel the other organs moving or shifting to take up that space? The thought of that just really creeps me out.
No!

The worst part for me was the first time I got out of bed... I was very sore in the area between my navel and my sternum, no doubt where my intestines were during the surgery (during a DaVinci, you get tipped backwards about 30 degrees). At 3-1/2 weeks post, I still have a twinge or two, but it's really nothing.

My uterus was only a couple of ounces enlarge, but lying laterally. I got to see the pictures at my first post-op visit.

Bobbe
Unread 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Well, my uterus was enlarged (500 grams, normal=75 grams) and the large fibroid in the front had tipped the entire uterus backwards so that it was pressing onto the bowels. There's no *question* that the bowels have now moved into the open space. I haven't felt any movement at all but, when I'm veeeeery quiet, I can hear them singing "Free at last! Free at last! Thank god almighty - I'm free at last!"
lol

Try not to fret about this one ... your organs move around a bit normally - think about it --- your heart, your lungs, your bowels - circulation, aspiration, digestion and elimination all involve muscular movements! Worry about what you're going to do with all that extra energy you feel after your surgery is over and you are recovered!
Unread 10-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Just had surgery Monday 9/28 - I am 5 days post op and I didnt feel a thing moving. I should have as my DR said my uterus was a big as my head (specifically 17 inches) (I do not have small head) My other organs are probably so relieve to have some space..... I wouldnt worry - I don't think you will feel a thing. I feel GREAT!!!
Best wishes!
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM

I have to say that while I didn't feel my intestines "moving" or "shifting," when I decided to dance at a friend's wedding I felt a very distinct "slosh" when I shook my hips back and forth... It was enough to make me sit down after that song. In the beginning, when you're still full of the fluids they will give you during and after surgery, you'll likely have that sloshing sensation, especially when you stand up after sitting or lying down - but if you feel any organ moving at all, it will probably be your bladder!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.