HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Dissolvable stitch sticking out of incision? Dissolvable stitch sticking out of incision?

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Dissolvable stitch sticking out of incision?

So, what do you think of this:

I think one of my "dissolvable" stitches/staples (?) is sticking out of my incision. (the incision is horizontal, along the bikini line)

It's shaped like a staple, and white. It looks like my incision is teething!

It's pushed out more and more each day, and I'm a little afraid to touch it, let alone try to pluck it out..

Has anyone else had this?

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Dissolvable stitch sticking out of incision?

NYC Wench:

I'm afraid to look at mine just now. But if I were you I would call the doctor.
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Re: Dissolvable stitch sticking out of incision?

Hi (((NYC Wench)))

I would call your doctor and ask what they think you should do. Some doctors will inform their patients that they can trim the stitch to prevent pulling, but your doctor may want to see you in person. Your body is pushing the stitch out because it sees it as a foreign invader. Isn't the human body amazing?

Hope you are doing great overall. All the best to you!

Unread 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM

I have been "spitting stitches" for two weeks now, and had a couple of them come out right about four weeks. My father had the same problem fifty years ago when he had an appendectomy.

"Dissolvable" or "absorbable" stitches means just that - they are "able" to dissolve or absorb but they often times do not! It depends on your body's enzymes and tissue reaction. I apparently got my father's genes in this category.

I did get an infection with my first stitches started coming through, but since then I've spat two more and not gotten any infection. I have continued to put Mederma on my scars (to try to make them less visible) and when I see inflammation I also put on some triple antibiotic (Neosporin).

Best wishes!
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Teething stitches....... Can't get that image out of my head now! Thanks!!!! And, the thought of "spitting" stitches sounds oh so appetizing! Glad mine were absorbed into my body!

But, I had dissolvable stitches in my arms before that stuck out for a good 6 weeks and then they finally disappeared on their own. Be sure to keep the area clean, especially where the stitches enter the skin, since it's exposed. If you have a pointed end that's catching on things, you may want to have someone trim it down or tape it down for you. Last thing you want is for it to get caught on something!!
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Hiya,

I just had my follow up appointment yesterday, and although my surgery was a LAVH, I had exactly what you are describing in the tiny incision on my belly button. It hadn't been bothering me or anything, so I hadn't really worried about it. The doctor saw it, said, "Oh it looks like you still have a little stitch here." asked her assistant for some tweezers and as I tensed up, pulled the thing right out without me feeling a thing. This is not to say that you should by any means pull it with tweezers though (I'm sure you're more than smart enough to realize that!). It's just to say that it seems like it might be a normal thing that happens quite a bit, because my doc certainly wasn't the least bit freaked out when she saw mine. Hope this helps calm your mind a little.

Wen
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks, all- my doctor did confirm it was normal and that the stitches eventually come out on their own. Looking forward to a toothless scar

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.