HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does it help to lose weight before surgery? Does it help to lose weight before surgery?

Unread 10-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Does it help to lose weight before surgery?

Hi everyone,

I am of average weight. I weigh between 140-145 and almost 5 foot 9.

I was wondering if I were to lose 5-10 lbs before surgery if it would help the surgeon during the surgery. He didn't ask me to, but I would think if there was less fat in the way it might help him see better (he is doing it laproscopically).

Was anyone told to lose weight or did anyone lose weight before?

Is it worthwhile or not needed?
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Re: Does it help to lose weight before surgery?

I am morbidly obese and had the Davinci method and my Gynecologic Oncologist never told me to lose weight. I did lose about 40 lbs. before surgery but that was just because I never felt like eating. I would say you are at a good weight and would not worry about it.
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi PCAN,

I have never heard of anyone being asked to lose weight before a hysterectomy. Please discuss this with your before going on any diet.
You wouldn't want to lower your immunities, specially when you'll want to be as healthy as possiable to help you in your recovery.

You sound like you are at a good weight already! It's nice though that you are thinking of ways already to help you in your recovery!

Best wishes,

Carol
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

I used to be 5'9"... have been doing the incredible shrinking woman routine so down to 5'7.5"....

Your current weight does not suggest any need to lose for surgery... complications related to weight issues are reserved for those in the overweight or obese ranges....and surgical techniques...

your doc will be able to see everything without weight loss... and like some of the others here, the weight loss may happen anyway due to nervous energy and appetite loss when you get closer to your date

I wouldn't worry about it,
Kathy
Unread 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM

I think probably the more important issue than losing weight (I am the same height as you and would DREAM of your weight) is being in physical shape. Talk to your doctor before you do any kind of dieting as suggested. Consider doing exercise within your physical limits to keep your muscles in good shape to be ready for surgery as this will aid with your recovery. You are most likely at the low end of the weight chart for our height. You may lose pounds inadvertently after surgery.

Talk to your doctor about diet issues. You don't want any electrolyte imbalances or stuff like that. Sounds like you are getting mentally prepared though.

Awesome!
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM

((PCAN))

I was a normal weight for my height when I had my lap assisted hysterectomy. I ended up losing weight after surgery, enough to put me underweight and thus I required dietetic and nutritional services to get my weight back up. Had I lost weight prior to surgery I would have been very underweight during recovery, hence, hampering my recovery even more.

Unless your doctor suggests losing weight, I would not recommend you do so. You could always adopt a healthier diet but don't decrease your calories. (When I eat healthier, I lose weight so I have to really watch it!)

Just my ! s
Unread 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM

I too was at the perfect weight when I had surgery and then lost some after it. Had I had any complications and lost more, I'd have probably been in trouble. I wouldn't suggest anyone at a healthy weight to try to lose some but do agree about working on strength training. I think that having strong legs and arms helped me immensely in the recovery phase. I was already in good shape but I really amped up my workouts in the weeks right before surgery and it paid off.
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks guys, I was just going off the same theory my dad's hernia doctor, who tells every paitent to lose 5-10 lbs as it makes the surgery easier.

Sounds like it won't help at all for a hyst!
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

If you are at an acceptable weight, you probably should not lose any before surgery. Why?

1) If you are having a laparoscopic procedure, it will actually help your doctor for there to be a distinctly indented umbilicus (belly button.) This is a safe place to put in the first needle/port because it is where all of the abdominal membranes are gathered in one spot (in other areas, there is more space and tissue between the membranes.) Therefore it is very easy to feel the needle or port going through each membrane with less risk of sliding around in between. There are a couple of articles that mention this. The risk of complications, however, is still minor, and the complications themselves were minor.

2) Weight loss can be hard on your liver, which is where almost every medication (including anesthetics) are metabolized. Changing your metabolism close to surgery can make it harder for you to recover.

3) You could make yourself ill by causing an electrolyte imbalance or iron deficiency.

I would strongly caution against going on a diet without consulting your surgeon and your primary care physician first. You should be carefully monitored if they agree to a diet. You should also consult with them if you try to change the balance of your diet, i.e. more iron, more calcium, more protein, elimination of salt. Each of these changes are often considered "good," but as you work toward surgery there is a distinct chance that you'd overdo it (I'm not judging you personally, but rather based on general tendencies I've seen here.)
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM

PCan -

Why don't you check with your doctor about this? They can tell you whether you have enough time or not.

I had a laproscopic surgery and my "navel" incision was above it and not in it so again something to discuss with your doctor.

G

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.