HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post-Op Itching Post-Op Itching

Unread 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Post-Op Itching

I had Davinci Robotic surgery on 9/21...coming up on 3 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good! I also had laproscopic gallbladder surgery at the same time, so taking time to recover slowly and plan to return to work part-time next week, as long as I can keep in a nap...Except that I'm going crazy with the itching that started aroung my sites almost a week ago! I found some threads from a year ago that spoke to the same thing I'm seeing with 2" red circles around the surgery sites, and itching that begins to get worse at 3-4 AM...I've come to think intuitively that I'm allergic to the Dermabond even before I read it because my skin is irritated at only the sites and the wounds look great...where there is less Dermabond, there is less irritation.
I'm taking Benadryl, but that makes me sleepy, and using cream on my skin...besides ice packs...are there any other suggestions? The welts are looking less 'angry' if I can control myself beginning to scratch or gently rub around them...
This site has been so helpful, even though the posts were old! It is the only place on the internet that described what I have! Thank you!
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Re: Post-Op Itching

When do you go back to your doctor? I went yesterday which was 2 weeks post-op (I had my dVH/RALH on the 23rd) and he told me I could take all the Dermabond off my incisions because they were healed. You might want to call your doctor to see if you can take them off yourself because my doctor told me I could have taken mine off earlier.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:26 AM

Good grief! I see the gallbladder surgeon on 9/13 and my gyn on 9/20...wonder why the follow-up are so much later? Thanks!
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM

I am allergic to adhesives and they still put steri-strips on me. I took them off yesterday and plan to use something called 'Calm Coat' for any itching. It's made for animals and their hot spots, but works well on humans for itchy things. My dd used some for mosquito bites and it was the first thing that actually worked! She's allergic to bites and we've tried everything to help with that!
Unread 10-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie1 View Post
Good grief! I see the gallbladder surgeon on 9/13 and my gyn on 9/20...wonder why the follow-up are so much later? Thanks!

Just curious, is your gallbladder coming out? I mean I have GB issues too, I read GB issues can be caused by hormonal issues too.. NOW I really try to eat right and take gallbladder supplements and do the Castor oil packs with a heating pad, so far so good. Have you researched alternatives before surgery? I WISH you the best of luck!
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM

I had both my gallbladder (lap choly) and LAVH on the same day ; the gallbladder was diseased with stones so I didn't have other alternatives at this point. I seem to be doing better with this recovery than the LAVH- at least less sympotmatic...Good luck with your GB issues!
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM

I found out I was allergic to the steri strips and the itching was driving me nuts...doctor had to give me steroid cream to prevent it from getting worse. If it is not better in a few days I will need steroids by mouth...don't let it get worse call the doctor

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.