HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Eating Right for Wellness

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Best vitamins for after? Best vitamins for after?

Unread 10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Best vitamins for after?

What are the best vitamins and supplements for after a hysterectomy to protect my bones? My doc just says Centrum, but I am curious...any other suggestions? I am also curious about supplements but there is just sooo much info out there, what to really think of it all?
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Re: Best vitamins for after?

I take a very good calcium supplement, along with magnesium, B6, B12, BMulti, copper, zinc, evening primrose oil, fish oil and silymarin.

Do they make a difference? I absolutely believe they do as the few times I thought they weren't and quit taking them I definetly noticed a difference.

Calcium is one of the most important supplements for bone health. And it should be taken with magnesium as the magnesium helps the body to absorb the calcium.

There is an article at www.hormonejungle.com that talks about supplements.
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM

I had the same question after my surgery three months ago. I am 39 years old and was confused...do I take "Women's One A Day" regular or One A Day Silver because despite my young age, I don't have my ovaries (they took everything) and when I look at the dosage list between the two vitamin bottles, there were a lot of differences between the two. I didn't know which one was better for my post-op body.

I sought the advice of my nutritional counselor (I used to see her pre-op when I had debilitating migraines) and she said despite my age, I should be taking the dosage recommendations of a menopausal 50+ woman (same with skin cleanser/moisturizer products).

She recommended: Womens One A Day Silver. In addition, she recommended Biotin, 1200mg-1500mg Calcium, magnesium, Coenzyme Q10, Fish Oil, and Black Cohosh. Surprisingly she said no Vitamin C (I used to take 1500 mg during the winter).

Hope that helps!
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM

I started taking a multivitamin and calcium supplement at the age of 40 and I think it has made a difference. I think that age 40 is the time to actively work on bone health. I read that there are 2 types of calcium supplements (calcium citrate & calcium carbonate) and it is good to take both kinds. My multivitamin contains one type of calcium and then I take the other type of calcium with magnesium as a supplement.

Weight-bearing exercise is also great for maintaining bone and muscle mass. Even 3 to 5 pound hand weights can help.

At the time of my hysterectomy, I was also taking a fish oil supplement for cardiovascular health and I continued to do so. I think the fish oil also helped to minimize post-surgery constipation which was a good thing.

As I approached age 50, I started taking an acidopholus (pro-biotic) supplement for digestive health and a cranberry capsule supplement for urinary tract health. I have virtually no digestive or urinary tract problems these days and I attribute it to the supplements.

I hope that this information is useful. Even over-the-counter vitamin supplements can interact with certain prescription medications, so be sure to discuss any supplement you plan to take with your doctor.
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM

I was advised by a Harvard MD specializing in HRT to not take black cohosh for more than 6 months. She said it has possible carcinogenic properties that have not been properly vetted. I took my last black cohosh Friday, and am waiting to see if I see any fall out.
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM

I take a good multi-vitamin, flax seed oil (for dry eyes), a B vitamin supplement, and Move Free every morning. Because I take thyroid meds, I have to wait to take any calcium supplements until later and I tend to forget them but try to take them 2x a day. Other than the joint pain that started after my surgery, I feel pretty darn good. I've been a consistent exerciser, both cardio and strength training, for many years and I think that helps.
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM

i take a flinstone vitamin..sometimes 2..lol..its just easier with a 5 year old...lol...also a calcium supplement, fiber supplements,biotin, and an aspirin as i have a blood clotting genetic disorder...
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

I take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement, 1000 mg calcium, 1000 IU fish oil, and 3 fiber caps for bowel help. I stopped taking the estroven. I had to wait 6 months after surgery to take anything due to endometriosis and when I started taking the estroven again, my hot flashes were unbearable. I can live with the brief ones I have now, and since it's winter, I hardly get any. I think I can work through them.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM

I have a rare neurological condition that does not alow me to have Vit A. This said, I can take ANY multi-vit found at WalMart & GNC and it not bother me. But I cannot even think about taking any vitatmin that is vegitable based like Juice Plus or Melaleuca brand. (Just like I can eat regular carrots, but forget about organic!)
This just goes to show that how a vit is made, will determine how well the body absorbs it. I hope this helps some.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Huh. I am... I dunno 3ish months post op, and I have been feeling great, except tired - sometimes suddenly VERY tired - and then I realized I have been forgetting to take my supplements. I think I will do that... right after my nap. Thanks for the reminder lol

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.